Metal Guitarist Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts

Another Album that is a Masterpiece but the production... although I grew listening to it and dozens of others so to me it's how they sound, still I wonder if they had the same impact on a better production value.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
That old /7/ dude TheReal7 (Scott?) put out a really great album that was unfortunately all piezo. :/

Still enjoyable despite it, good songwriting saved the day.

Forgot all about that album. I think I have a copy of it somewhere, I should try to hunt it down.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Basically not a fan of Ritchie's tone on Rainbow - Down to Earth, but the album is great. His tone on Rainbow Rising was exceptional.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
FLotsam & Jetsam's No Place for Disgrace. Love that album but I just picture them running their Marshalls though a very poorly built home made car stereo speaker box or something.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Every Testament album before The Ritual. Such horrible production for such amazing thrash.
Strange that almost all of those share a common problem with "The Storm Comes Down" - Alex Perialis. Skolnick talk quite a bit about their issues with him in his book.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
FLotsam & Jetsam's No Place for Disgrace. Love that album but I just picture them running their Marshalls though a very poorly built home made car stereo speaker box or something.
I've brought that album up in like 5 threads this week as a perfect example of a record that 100% rules despite the guitar tone being 100% god awful. :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
The prog guy isn't exactly the definitive source on Bay Area Thrash. :wub:
No, but you're both right. I know several guys personally that had killer live tones and got shit tone on their records because the producer wouldn't let them use their own gear. There were also a lot more guys back then that didn't know shit about their gear. So there's plenty of things in combination.

You could also be Megadeth and spend most of the advance for your first record on drugs.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Agreed on both counts.

Also, I'll never love the production of Somewhere in Time. IMO Powerslave is the best sounding Maiden album.
I will always agree about Somewhere In Time. Piece of Mind is the best sounding Maiden album, to me, but Powerslave is damn close

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I love these records, but Alex Perialas strikes again. So much of what you're complaining about is Pyramid Sound...
I'm not really complaining about it per se, just pointing it out. I think these albums wouldn't be awesome with perfect production, Nuclear Assault in particular. The gritty, hollow sound of their records fits their music IMO.

I was 11 when The Plague came out. I bought it when I was maybe 13 or so and listened to it about a dozen times a day for years. I had just started playing guitar and my heroes were Crue, Maiden and all manner of thrash. My older brother had a few friends who would loan me Exciter, SOD, and stuff like F&J. Such a cool time for music. :metal:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I've brought that album up in like 5 threads this week as a perfect example of a record that 100% rules despite the guitar tone being 100% god awful. :lol:
They posted their raw mix at one point and it sounded much less bad. I think the record got fucked in mastering but we'll never know, since the masters are gone

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I'm not really complaining about it per se, just pointing it out. I think these albums wouldn't be awesome with perfect production, Nuclear Assault in particular. The gritty, hollow sound of their records fits their music IMO.

I was 11 when The Plague came out. I bought it when I was maybe 13 or so and listened to it about a dozen times a day for years. I had just started playing guitar and my heroes were Crue, Maiden and all manner of thrash. My older brother had a few friends who would loan me Exciter, SOD, and stuff like F&J. Such a cool time for music. :metal:
It really was. You had all these bands taking the same influences and really trying to be their own thing. Originality was the thing, having your own sound.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts

Revisiting X-Japan's Blue Blood album and it's production is showing signs of age, especially the rhythm guitars. They're thin, buzzy and barely audible, mostly buried under the drums. Doesn't help that the drums overall sound like they're recorded inside a box and Yoshiki slamming the double kick every chance he gets, which is all the damn time.

Thankfully the songs more than make up for the production.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you want that unique Dime tone, you can take any amp on the planet, max the gain/treble/presence and then roll off every scrap of mids and lows. Voila! :lol:

I'll take Dave's tone over Dime's ten out of ten times.

I can't say I'm intimiately familar with his current tone, but back in the day he was almost certainly unique because he was broke. Dave just wanted to outdo his old band, and IMO, he did. Recent 'Death albums don't do much for me but they're certainly a zillion times better than Lulo, Load, and every other shitpile Metallica has released since AJFA.
100%!

81 - 96 of 96 Posts