Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't see anything about it, so yes...

The PSP pretty much completely bombed out, much as I love mine, and there were heaps of rumours about what would happen next, and from the looks of it it's going to be all good (in my opinion anyway :lol: ).

Touch screen on the front, 3g connectivity, wi-fi, touch pad on the back (FINALLY something that can act as the L2/R2 buttons as a basic function, and more interesting stuff will no doubt be done too), two joysticks, some deal with Android and a feature that somehow links the two (I'm not 100% sure on exactly what that entails tbh..) and enough power to pull off near PS3 graphics...

From what I could tell, Uncharted is going to be on there, Kojima did a tech-demo of Metal Gear Solid 4 so there's a good chance that will be too, a COD game has been announced and IIRC a Little Big Planet too. I know a lot of the problem people had with the original was the simple porting of actual PS2 titles to the system instead of focusing on rad new games, but with all the touch capabilities and the fact that they've ditched the noisy-as-hell UMD's, it really does look like it will be able to cater to the more "pick up and play" novelty market as well as the "console in a handheld" approach they seem so hell-bent on creating.

Hell, even if everyone hates it, odds are I'll love the thing :lol: I'm fucking excited.

Here are the tech-demos and some other videos:

Some of the reactions/feelings about it from the Gamespot guys;
Sony NGP Gut Reactions (Next Generation Portable) - GameSpot Video

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Sony really brought it on the NGP. I'm really pretty excited for it. It doesn't even need a gimmick like 3D, it's just solid as hell.

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly it. I can't say I'm "surprised" the PSP bombed as badly as it did, the UMD was just a wacky choice for games, and in their defense it was Sony's first foray into the portable market.

This looks great though, they've fixed the issues from the PSP, they've brought the option for more novelty games to compete with Nintendo and the new smartphone market with the touch screen and pad etc.. It really does just look like it will be a great piece of gear.

·

745 Posts
It looks awesome, I'm definitely waiting to hear more about it, especially that there are rumours you could easily port ps3 games onto it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
All depends on the price to me - it looks great and I love the 2 analog sticks. But if it's coming in at $300-$350 (which I can't see it coming in any lower given the awesomeness of all the features) I'm seriously gonna have to think about that. You can get a PS3 for that kind of dough.

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the ~$350 price mark is a pretty good estimate. It is expensive, there's no denying that, but I think there are a hell of a lot of people who will be more than willing to pay the cash for it (I know I am), especially given how much it looks like it will do.

I mean come on, this effectively is a PS3 in your pocket... But with a touch screen etc.. That's pretty fucking awesome.

There's also the fact that they're releasing two models; one with the 3g connection, one without. The one without is [apparently] going to be a decent amount cheaper which is really good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts