Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving around my band's practice room, and I want to position the amp and pa in a way that won't cancel anything out and whatnot and I was wondering if anyone knows of a chart that shows examples of how not to place stuff etc. I googled it but I don't know quite what to search for.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
It's nearly impossible to eliminate standing waves which will cancel frequencies out. I am assuming this a mostly untreated jam room.

Keep the cabs away from the walls (2'-3' if you can), and definitely out of the corners of the room. This will help with too much bass build up. Other than that, there's not a whole lot you can do.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's nearly impossible to eliminate standing waves which will cancel frequencies out. I am assuming this a mostly untreated jam room.

Keep the cabs away from the walls (2'-3' if you can), and definitely out of the corners of the room. This will help with too much bass build up. Other than that, there's not a whole lot you can do.
Its been ghetto treated. :lol: Lots of carpet padding, carpet, and cardboard on the walls. It helped the room quite a bit compared to before I put all the stuff on the walls. I am going to make some bass traps for the corners soon as well. I know its nearly impossible to eliminate standing waves, I was just hoping for some type of example chart so I can figure out the best placement. The room sounds decent considering the crap PA we're using for vocals and such, I just want a bit more clarity if possible.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
The padding and carpet on your walls (besides being a fire hazard) is actually making your room less clear. It's probably killed the high frequency ringing (i.e. the ring you get when you clap your hands in an empty room), but it's also killed all of the highs while leaving the mids and lows untamed, resulting in a muddy room that will never be clear.

For $200, you can get 12 sheets Owens Corning 703, wrap it in burlap, and use fender washers to attach them to the walls. This will kill the ring, help with the bass, NOT BE A FIRE HAZARD, and not be nearly as ghetto.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts