Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Got back from my techg again after the jj's I had in my rivera turned to be microphonic.
The guy stocks sovtek's and wanted to replace the JJ's wih these sovteks, how are these tubes? any good? bad?

Thanks,
Daniel.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more opinions anyone?

I just keep hearing everywhere thay arent too good sounding and everyone recommends sed winged c's and ruby bstr\bht's.

My tech said ruby's has badf consistancy issues though.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Useless fucking piece of shit: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/448; U; en-GB) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

Sovtek's are great. Go for them!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gotta say I'm a bit surprised... I was pretty much ready to tell my tech to get winged c's.. stay with the sovtek you say?

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Pretty sure I've got Sovtek's in my 20/20 and they've been fine for years. It's had pretty light use the last couple of years. No concerns with Sovtek's here though.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Aren't Sovteks typical run of the mill, "regular" tubes? IIRC, a couple of amps comes with those as the stock tubes. In my very restricted experience, Sovteks are "ok". If it was me, i'd still go JJ or Tung-Sol, even if i've never had issues with Sovteks.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Sovteks, in my experience, are solid, durable, and unremarkable. The EL84 set I put in my amp is a little "sparklier" than the JJs that were in there.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
No experience with the Sovteks, but the nice thing about power tubes is, since they have a fairly short life and aren't THAT expensive, there's no harm in giving them a shot and then if you don't really like them maybe a year down the road trying something else. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Yeah I know, just ewanted to get something nice now.
Tubes are kind of like pickups, though - "something nice" is going to vary hugely from person to person. Your best bet, barring huge reliability issues, is to just try them, and see if you like them more than what you have now.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
well I guess it's good to avoid bad ones though.

Also, my tech talked about sed and ruby's as inconsistent tubes,
not like JJ's, but still not too reliable, is it true?

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Everyone's got an opinion. You just won't know if your tubes are going to die at random or not.

So grab a set, put them in, and rock out.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Everyone's got an opinion. You just won't know if your tubes are going to die at random or not.

So grab a set, put them in, and rock out.
That's one of the things I find with Sovteks. They are so cheap there is no reason not to keep a spare set around in case something goes on you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts