Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I put 2 of these badboys in a 2x12 cabinet....

Eminence > Eminence Legend V12 8 ohms 40.61

Is there any way I can run both speakers at 8ohms, or am I looking at 4ohm mono and 2x 8ohm stereo?

I'm retarded with things like this. I know the Blackstar has a 16ohm, 2x 16ohm, and an 8ohm out on it. If it's not compatible with the Blackstar, I'm still gonna grab at least 1 to throw in my 1x12 for now, and get another in the future to use in the 2x12 with a bigger amp.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
It's more a question of your cabinet. How is it wired? One input jack or two? Stereo or mono? Series or parallel? The way the speakers are wired together will determine the cabinet impedance, and then you just match it (or undermatch it) with your output choice on the head.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a custom built cabinet, it can be wired any way I want it to really :lol: I'll probably end up with 2 jacks, even though I'll also probably never use 2, but I suppose it's always good to have it there :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Ah, comprende. So, the Blackstar has no 4ohm output, and it is capable of being run in stereo @ 2x16? Not 2x8?

You can get 2x parallel = 4 ohms mono, 2x series = 16 ohm mono, or 2x stereo, which is 8ohm each of course.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, comprende. So, the Blackstar has no 4ohm output, and it is capable of being run in stereo @ 2x16? Not 2x8?

You can get 2x parallel = 4 ohms mono, 2x series = 16 ohm mono, or 2x stereo, which is 8ohm each of course.
So running 2 speakers in mono in parallel halves the amount of ohmage of 1 speaker so to speak, and series doubles it? Series would probably be my best bet then, means I could run the HT-5 at 16ohm, then depending on if I get a Peavey, Engl, or another Blackstar (all of which I know support ohm switching), I'll be sorted :D Cheers dude!

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
So running 2 speakers in mono in parallel halves the amount of ohmage of 1 speaker so to speak, and series doubles it? Series would probably be my best bet then, means I could run the HT-5 at 16ohm, then depending on if I get a Peavey, Engl, or another Blackstar (all of which I know support ohm switching), I'll be sorted :D Cheers dude!
In the case of two speakers, yes, it's a halving and doubling, respectively.

[dons physics hat]

In series, impedances add. So the impedance of n speakers is:
Ztotal = Z1 + Z2 + ... + Zn

In parallel, the inverse of the sum of the inverses :)sweat:) is the total impedance:
Ztotal = 1/[1/Z1 + 1/Z2 + ... + 1/Zn]

[doffs physics hat]

Or use the Internet :lol: Use the top calculator for parallel impedances. If only using two drivers, forget about fields 3 and 4.
Series Parallel Speaker Impedance

I looked up your amp - do you have the combo or the head? - and whatever you do, you have a minimum 8 ohm limit. And since you can't run 2x8, yeah, you're stuck with 16 ohm mono (wired in series).

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked up your amp - do you have the combo or the head? - and whatever you do, you have a minimum 8 ohm limit.
I've got the head. My current cab is 8ohm, but I've blew the shit out of the 35w speaker cranking it too hard by the looks of things :lol: I'm gonna replace the speaker in this cab, all my leads, pre-amp valve, and strings. Just to get rid of this noise and try and make everything just sound that little more metal :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I've got the head. My current cab is 8ohm, but I've blew the shit out of the 35w speaker cranking it too hard by the looks of things :lol: I'm gonna replace the speaker in this cab, all my leads, pre-amp valve, and strings. Just to get rid of this noise and try and make everything just sound that little more metal :lol:
If you blew a 35W speaker with a 5W amp, you will probably blow a pair of 120W speakers running it the same way. You likely fried your voice coil with heat from all the square-waving, which from a tube power amp is pretty extreme as they tend to clip more softly than solid-state power amps.

I'd recommend keeping the volume a little lower in the future, dude. :yesway:

Sorry to be grandpas. :yoda:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you blew a 35W speaker with a 5W amp, you will probably blow a pair of 120W speakers running it the same way. You likely fried your voice coil with heat from all the square-waving, which from a tube amp is pretty extreme as they tend to clip more softly.

I'd recommend keeping the volume a little lower in the future, dude. :yesway:

Sorry to be grandpas. :yoda:
I've had this thing on full crank at band practice, so I ain't surprised really :lol: I know I'm grabbing a 6505+ 112 next, but it has extension outs aswell, switchable between 16, 8 and 4ohms, so it will be about perfect!

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I've had this thing on full crank at band practice, so I ain't surprised really :lol: I know I'm grabbing a 6505+ 112 next, but it has extension outs aswell, switchable between 16, 8 and 4ohms, so it will be about perfect!
60W? Perfect! :metal:

I have a XXX and if yours is wired up like mine, the internal speaker will be a 16 ohm Sheffield. So you will plug in another 16 ohm cab (this one) and set the switch to 8 ohm since I think it's a paralleled set of outputs (mine is). You'll have a trifecta 3x12 of br00tal. :yesway:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
60W? Perfect! :metal:

I have a XXX and if yours is wired up like mine, the internal speaker will be a 16 ohm Sheffield. So you will plug in another 16 ohm cab (this one) and set the switch to 8 ohm since I think it's a paralleled set of outputs (mine is). You'll have a trifecta 3x12 of br00tal. :yesway:
Yeah, I thikn they are 16ohm, and it'll definitely be a Sheffiled. I thought when you ran a cab, it might have bypassed the internal speaker, but if it runs aswell as the cab, that is indeed br00tal as fuck :metal:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys, I'm not sure bout the impedence and ohm you guys are discussing. But can anyone tell me wheather Blackstar HT-5 Head can connect to a marshall MG102 fx and use it as cabinet by unplug the MG power section and connet HT-5 Head to it? Because i have a MG102 fx but i wanted to try some tube tone and notice HT-5, but i notice that MG102fx wrtitten 4ohms(if im not mistaken) and HT-5 is competible of 8 and 16ohms. So if i connect them will them work or damage them? Thanks in advance....

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello guys, I'm not sure bout the impedence and ohm you guys are discussing. But can anyone tell me wheather Blackstar HT-5 Head can connect to a marshall MG102 fx and use it as cabinet by unplug the MG power section and connet HT-5 Head to it? Because i have a MG102 fx but i wanted to try some tube tone and notice HT-5, but i notice that MG102fx wrtitten 4ohms(if im not mistaken) and HT-5 is competible of 8 and 16ohms. So if i connect them will them work or damage them? Thanks in advance....
It WOULD work, but I wouldn't recommend it. Don't quote me but I think they do cause damage after a while. You'd be better off picking up a HT-5 combo if you can!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the information. I beginning to understand the series and parallel topic you guys are talking about, if im not mistaken the MG2x12 cabinet i was talking about is using parallel wiring which is 4 ohm, if I rewire the cabinet to series which is 16 ohm, will it match? If i connect two 8 ohm speaker in series, it is 1x16 or 2x16 ohm?

What is the difference between higher ohm cabinet and lower ohm cabinet in terms of sound and tone?

For Headphones & Speaker Emulated Output, can i use headphone without plug in the amp to the cabinet? When the headphone is plug in, will it mute the cabinet sound?

This amp is said to be not loud enough for live situation, if i use a bigger cabinet or i use a effect pedal to boost the volume, will it be loud enough for live band?

And thanks for the suggestion of getting a combo version, but i think don't like the 10inch speaker, and im thinking that perhaps i can save some if using the MG as cabinet, otherwise the MG will be sitting idle. If MG couldn't do the job, perhaps i will consider another cabinet.

Sorry for so many questions and im quite a newbie in these. ^^

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to bump an old thread, until I can afford a 2nd speaker, I'm running that 120w Legend in my 1x12, since the new Blackstar does switching from 16 - 8 - 4 ohms, I'm fine on that front either way, however, if I crank it to about 12 o'clock, is it gonna blow the speaker again, or will it be okay? I'll only be running it in this 1x12 for another 2 weeks or so, I just need a cab for practice atm :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Just to bump an old thread, until I can afford a 2nd speaker, I'm running that 120w Legend in my 1x12, since the new Blackstar does switching from 16 - 8 - 4 ohms, I'm fine on that front either way, however, if I crank it to about 12 o'clock, is it gonna blow the speaker again, or will it be okay? I'll only be running it in this 1x12 for another 2 weeks or so, I just need a cab for practice atm :lol:
A 60W tube amp plugged into a 120W speaker will only fry the speaker if you really crank the shit out of it and start sending lots of clipping distortion its way. I would expect you'll be fine setting the amp to half volume ("12 o'clock").

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A 60W tube amp plugged into a 120W speaker will only fry the speaker if you really crank the shit out of it and start sending lots of clipping distortion its way. I would expect you'll be fine setting the amp to half volume ("12 o'clock").
Well, technically it's 100w, but it can go down to 10w apparently, it'll be running all 100w, I had it running through a 2x12 the other day, channel volumes at 12 o'clock, and master at about 9:30. Which is about as loud as it needs to be for now!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
There are way too many speaker myths that are far too prevalent on the internet.

-CLIPPING DOES NOT FRY SPEAKERS BY ITSELF; IN FACT, IT CAN PROTECT SPEAKERS BY 'COMPRESSING' MASSIVE PEAKS.
-CLIPPING IS ALSO NOT SQUARE WAVE DISTORTION, AND IT DOES NOT NECESSARILY FRY SPEAKERS AS ABOVE.
-ALSO, YOU CANNOT DAMAGE A CAB BY UNDERPOWERING IT.
-AND, MANUFACTURERS' WATTAGE CLAIMS ARE NOT A GOOD METHOD OF DETERMINING SPEAKER LIMITS.

/endrant

Massive low-frequency spikes (very common with bass guitar, but less so with standard guitar) can cause a woofer to exceed Xmax or exceed its thermal limits. "Clipping" is not any more difficult for a speaker to produce than a standard sound wave, and is not bad for speakers (assuming that the signal is not hot enough to overheat the voice coil.)

Also, the manufacturers' wattage limits are usually determined by running a constant 'pink noise' signal into the speaker at greater and greater volumes until it blows. They then take the approximate wattage output at the time of blowing the speaker, usually drop it a couple watts and round it to the nearest round number.

This method is not great for musical instrument use because speakers can generally take a much greater level of pink noise than they can sudden transient spikes, which are much more common in musical instruments.

That said, it's unlikely you will cook the speaker if you're smart about volume. It's not like you're slapping an electric bass with the sub lows boosted.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts