Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 20 years I finally get to buy me my first tube amp. I'm going with the Blackstar.I do not have a guitar shop close to test them out so I need some advice on which cab to get it with. Keep in my that this is only for bedroom use and I will never jam or gig with it. I tune to drop d and my style is intertwined between clutch and killswitch engaged. So Should I get the ht-5 which has a single 12' in its combo, I'm also considering the ht-1th limited edition with 2 10' speakers on this combo or should I get the ht-5 head with the 4 8' inch speakers cab? with the last one I mentioned I'm not sure with the 4 speakers if it would give me more of a full type sounds while sacrificing the bass. Just not sure how big of a part bass response would play at the bedroom levels. So what do you think?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Well, I'm sure speaker size will have *something* to do with speaker voicing, but remember that most guitar cabs have 12" speakers, and most bass cabs have 10" speakers, so a smaller size isn't necessarily going to give you less bass.

I thought my HT-5 combo sounded best through my Avatar 2x12 with V30's, personally.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dont think speaker size, think output. 12" speakers have the right voice and inherent tone for guitars. I'd much rather have a low output amp (low wattage, so it gets the "cranked amp" sound at lower levels) with 12" speakers.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
12 inch or gtfo.

It really comes down to accurate tone reproduction. Are you planning to go after certain tones you heard on a record at some point? If so, 12 inch speakers are a must. They sound full on their own and have the sound response you have been listening to all your life, whereas 8 inch speakers do not.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm also planning to pick up a 1w Blackstar at some point. Do you guys think that the HT1 head plus a 1x12 cab is going to be a significant improvement over the HT1 combo?

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm also planning to pick up a 1w Blackstar at some point. Do you guys think that the HT1 head plus a 1x12 cab is going to be a significant improvement over the HT1 combo?
It's basically the same thing dude, just two different housings. The only thing I can think of is that the head/cab may be slighty tighter than the combo because of size.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

ToxicTrace said:
It's basically the same thing dude, just two different housings. The only thing I can think of is that the head/cab may be slighty tighter than the combo because of size.
I don't think the HT1 combo comes with a 12" speaker.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My music room looks like an amp store, I have a Jet City JCA20 Stack, a Blackstar HT5 stack, and a Vox lil night train 2 watt'er.. all great bedroom amps. most people arre familiar with the JCA20 and the Blackstar...but if you haven't tried out a Vox lil night train or the larger night train 15 watt'er. They are pretty good and rival any other Class A or A/B

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Some people here may be defining "bedroom levels" a little differently than the OP. 10" speakers can give very nice guitar sounds at low volume, in my experience. I don't know whether that's better than 12" speakers at the same volume level or not, but you'll probably get a more even frequency response from 10" speakers at very low volumes.

I actually don't think tube amps are that great unless you can turn them up a little bit, particularly for metal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.