Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I have a red 24-fret Gibson SG Standard -

I like this thing a lot - love the neck, and I even I like the Tony Iommi bridge bucker. I don't like the firebird neck pickup... it seems thin, weak, and a bit too bright for my tastes. I don't plan to do anything about it right away, but here in a few months I may look at a solution.

So. I know several companies make mini-buckers and those who do often make the firebird style as well. I'd like something relatively hot, but not so hot that it gets muddy and lost. Articulate but with a sort of dark quality that can be pushed without getting fizzy.

Suggestions? I'd heard that Bare Knuckle does not make mini-buckers but will rewind one for you. I haven't even checked the price on that.

Thanks - just noodling this through.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
If you're going to go the rewind route, I'd go with Wolfetone, based on how highly all of the NoVa mg.org folk think of him.
I've run a pair of Wolfe rewinds, and they are every bit worth the cost :yesway:

Also, you could call Seymour Duncan. They can wind you something special if you give them some specs on what you're after.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could look under the pickguard, but the reason they stuck a firebird in it was because of the 24-fret business. So, my guess is it would have to be a custom pickguard at the very least.

As far as routing, if that's necessary, I'm going to avoid it at all costs - meaning I'll live with what I have before routing it. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

I'll check out Wolfe and see if that's an option for me. It sounds like it. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I could look under the pickguard, but the reason they stuck a firebird in it was because of the 24-fret business. So, my guess is it would have to be a custom pickguard at the very least.

As far as routing, if that's necessary, I'm going to avoid it at all costs - meaning I'll live with what I have before routing it. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

I'll check out Wolfe and see if that's an option for me. It sounds like it. Thanks guys.
You'd have to get a new pickguard, but most 24-fret SGs have a full-sized neck humbucker (my 50th Anniversary Ed. one does). It's just a question of whether Gibson custom routed these for mini hums

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
You'd have to get a new pickguard, but most 24-fret SGs have a full-sized neck humbucker (my 50th Anniversary Ed. one does). It's just a question of whether Gibson custom routed these for mini hums
Which is extremely doubtful. It's way easier to route all the bodies the same and slap on a different pickguard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.