Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Speck laptop cases

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  bulletbass man 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Is the air vent on the bottom actually fully exposed? These have some pretty heavy-duty graphics hardware in them, and reviews are conflicted about whether or not there's enough airflow.

#14 ·
It's a snap-on coloured plastic exo-case. I'd have the same concern that Josh has over proper ventilation and convective cooling.
Our CFO has had one on his MBP for a year now, no problems. He runs iStat, and says his MBP doesn't get hot at all.

You actually buy cases for laptops? Why? When's the last time you dropped one or managed to scratch one? You're just going to get another one in 6 months anyways :lol:
You buy a case for a Mac because you want to preserve it's fucking beauty, fucker! What do you think this is, a Dell? :fawk: :rofl:

<pretentious Apple fanboy prick>I was thinking of getting a Speck for both my MBP's, as well as my iPad</pretentious Apple fanboy prick>

#10 ·
They're somewhat functional and somewhat of a fashion statement. I do like the matte black one Chris has, as it also makes the outer surface grippy. For Chris it makes sense, but for most people, i totally don't understand the point of enshrouding stuff in additional layers of other stuff to protect it while in use, unless you're regularly using it out in the field.

#15 ·
Well, my Core2Duo MBP gets hot all by itself. Just sitting there.

And yes, i carry my laptop in a padded sleeve in my leather bag. It went back and forth to work with me every day for 2+ years and gets toted around the house and out to meetings.

And i generally only upgrade every 3 years or so.

#16 ·
Well, my Core2Duo MBP gets hot all by itself. Just sitting there.

And yes, i carry my laptop in a padded sleeve in my leather bag. It went back and forth to work with me every day for 2+ years and gets toted around the house and out to meetings.

And i generally only upgrade every 3 years or so.
I've found it depends heavily on the generation, even with Core 2 Duos. My unibody MBP's (one a 15", the other a 13") run significantly cooler than a co-worker's pre-unibody 15" MBP from early 2008. Like by as much as 15-20 degrees under load.

#18 ·
In fact my 13" unibody, which is a year newer, runs 10 degrees cooler than my 15" unibody, even with the graphics running on the integrated 9400m instead of the 9600m dedicated. Quite interesting what Intel is able to do over time. Unless Apple somehow made the airflow better. I doubt that though, since the body shapes barely changed, if at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.