OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
:lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Hah! I was thinking Bryan Adams "Summer of '69":

Spent my money on a six string...got it from a guy online!
I think the loaded ones you can carry on your back have better QC. Especially if you want to see a million faces and rock them all. Gotta ride on that steel horse.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Unless you're like a razor of course. Six string laser. Gotta mouth like an alligator. Better update that OP.

Criteria for a good six string
-Want it louder
-More Power

Budget does not include "the boys" you need to make "the noise".

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It’s just one guitar...

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Really only one way to go...

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Tight pants/no underwear/package to the right > all other rock outfits

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
So, back on topic:

I went down and played the SLX DX swirl machine again.

Plays very nice, but didn't quite elicit that "gotta have this" feeling I got with the HT7 (that I just LOVE). And, I just couldn't quite bring myself to pull the trigger.

(One thing the HT7 taught me is the nice guitar beats the cheaper mod platform all day, as it plays light years better than my Franken7, which has a lot of the same parts, just not the same body/neck.)

A few things that are holding me back on the SLX DX:

1) slightly sharp fret ends - not a huge deal but for a $750 guitar, seems that shouldn't be so noticeable...
2) stock Jackson pickups - again, for a non-entry level guitar, I'd expect to not have to swap pups immediately.
3) The Floyd Rose Special - love the idea of swapping it for a GOTOH, but again, at this price point having to swap multiple parts right away is a little off-putting.

And, it doesn't help that I know the markup is between 40-50% on these things, and the non-swirl painted ones are $150-200 less than the swirled ones.

Am I falling into the "cheap old man" trap here? Or are these reasonable concerns for a $750 git-fiddle?

:dunno:

·
Registered
0 Posts
I wouldn't be super concerned with the fret ends if they're just a little less than perfect. It's winter and everyone's fretboard is as dry as Mike's prom date. The pickups are inexcusable though, how is that still an issue w/Jackson? They've been shitty forever.

There are a lot nicer used fiddles out there for a grand.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I wouldn't be super concerned with the fret ends if they're just a little less than perfect. It's winter and everyone's fretboard is as dry as Mike's prom date. The pickups are inexcusable though, how is that still an issue w/Jackson? They've been shitty forever.

There are a lot nicer used fiddles out there for a grand.
Yeah, I'm not averse to a used one - just don't want to drop that kinda cash on something I can't play first, so it limits me to local stuff.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts