- Take off pads
- Slack strings
- Locate small screwdriver
- Remove truss rod cover
- Figure out which pipe wrench I need
- Choose the wrong one
- Try another one
- Sweet, that's it!
- Realize that I didn't slack the strings enough, slack some more so that I don't snap one past the nut
- Finally adjust the damn thing
- Re-tension strings
- Notice that the bridge is now pulled up a bit
- Remove back cover
- Fuck with trem springs for 10 minutes
- Re-tune
- Re-tune some more
- Put truss rod cover back on
- Re-tune one more time
- Put locking pads back on
- Tighten pads
- Re-tune with fine tuners
- Put back cover back on
- Done!

Ok, now to adjust the EBMM truss rod on my JP6! Here's a video of the process, it's pretty long so get comfortable.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought your procedure for the locking trem was:
1. Take it to Drew.
2. Done.
That dickhammer hasn't set up one of my guitars in years. In truth, I'm not sure why I'm even still friends with him.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
It literally is painful and agonizing if you have a Strat that requires the removal of the pickguard or neck. Fuck that shit. I pay someone to setup my STRAT :lol:

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
I thought your procedure for the locking trem was:
1. Take it to Drew.
2. Done.
I thought the procedure was:
1. Buy a bottle of scotch
2. Take guitar to Drew
3. Hope set-up is complete before Drew is too drunk to finish
4. Done, or let Drew hang on to guitar until he gets it done
5. Bitch that you need to make Drew teach you how to set-up your own guitars

That dickhammer hasn't set up one of my guitars in years. In truth, I'm not sure why I'm even still friends with him.
Probably because you started skipping Step 1

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
When adjusting the truss rod on my guitars with a locking nut, I leave the pads locked and just slack the 2 strings above the truss rod just enough to move the wrench back and forth. Saves A LOT on the headache. Done it that way for most of my guitar playing life and it's worked perfectly.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
When adjusting the truss rod on my guitars with a locking nut, I leave the pads locked and just slack the 2 strings above the truss rod just enough to move the wrench back and forth. Saves A LOT on the headache. Done it that way for most of my guitar playing life and it's worked perfectly.
Sometimes I just adjust it without even doing that, and the strings will break. I'll forget about it, set it down, and boy am I in for a surprise the next time I tune it!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to do that, until I broke like 2 dozen strings because I'm an asshole and always cranked the wrench juuuuuust a little more. :lol:

Plus the damn floyd usually needs a tweak when I adjust the rod anyway. Unless it's my Magic EBMM Bridge, that gives zero fucks about anything and just always stays in tune.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts