Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...so, I'm moving to a SQL Server environment after 20 years of Oracle experience as both a developer and DBA (though I haven't been a DBA since 9i).

So, has anyone here made a similar switch? Any good books/resources for subtle differences between the two? Direct queries don't seem too different (the square brackets for columns with spaces in the name will take me forever to get used to :lol: ), but I'm sure there are some weird things I should watch out for.

Anyone? ;)

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Can you repeat that in English? I get the part where you say you're moving. In my experience, hire a good moving company that has insurance and doesn't just set your shit in the middle of the room.

As far as books, I've read a few good ones. Here are some I'd recommend: Bernstein Bears Home Sweet Tree, Green Eggs and Ham, and an all-time favorite, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Weird things to watch out for... Hmmm. I'd say anyone approaching you in a trenchcoat without socks.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
My background was SQL server. I switched to oracle. I now split mine time evenly between the two. They're just different enough to fuck me up every time. Google is a life saver.

@@ columns are system variables, like sysconext in oracle . @ is used for local variables. # in front of a table name makes it a session specific temp table. There's a way to share temp tables between sessions, but I never do that, there are real tables for that. All sever has identity columns, which are int columns with built in sequences, really handy. There are no packages, just procedures and functions.

That's just from the top of my head.

I'm always on IM, so you can hit me up there too.

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
What is the Sea-QuelL you talk about? I've been post-relational/multi-value since the late 80's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts