Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Imagine how listenable this would be if the (definitely talented) bassist played, oh, say, 1/10000th the notes.

I wonder if this is what shredding sounds like to people who don't like metal. :lol: All I hear is "note note ptbptbptbptbtpbtpbtpbtpbtptbptbptbptbptbt note note ptbptbptbtpbtpbttptbptbptb note note pbptbptbptbptbtptbtpbttptpt".

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Imagine how listenable this would be if the (definitely talented) bassist played, oh, say, 1/10000th the notes.

I wonder if this is what shredding sounds like to people who don't like metal. :lol: All I hear is "note note ptbptbptbptbtpbtpbtpbtpbtptbptbptbptbptbt note note ptbptbptbtpbtpbttptbptbptb note note pbptbptbptbptbtptbtpbttptpt".
I thought the exact same thing, but didn't know how to properly express it :rofl:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

EXACTLY :rofl:

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Probably :lol:

This video has some slower, nicer moments :lol:

Though I think part of the problem is the really plucky, clear tone he has, the percussiveness of the tone is obscuring a lot of the notes. Though, in general, he seems to make some of the notes a little too short resulting in them not really coming through musically.

All I know is that my hands feel tired just watching him :lol:

And, this is pretty impressive too :lol:

(guy doubling the OP video on guitar :lol: )

Or how 'bout some free jazz?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
He's got "stereotypical solo bass" tone, and it's like nails on a chalkboard for me :(

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts

Wish granted.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Mega use of the detuner thing!
:agreed:

Manring is awesome, although he's way more fun to watch perform his pieces than to merely listen to. I love the tension and release stuff he does where he'll be sitting on a sustained chord for a while and tweak the bridge, tuning key, or detuner and suddenly it will resolve.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
i liked his general sense of writing and such, the tune itself was pretty nice but it seems like he just needs a bass with a couple extra strings.
It must be a "feel" thing. Personally, I feel like 6 string guitars just feel like home, and 7 strings, while more versatile tuning wise, just don't feel the same. Maybe it's the same for him.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.