Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Stealthtastic posted this in a thread on jumbo frets, but this is such an awesome performance that it deserves its own thread so it gets the attention it deserves.

Goddamn. So many of the guys he's inspired may be able to match the tone or the chops, but I don't think I've heard anyone else play with this kind of attitude or disregard - some of the stuff he's doing here is just WAY outside of the traditional blues cannon, but he makes it work.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
That is a great one and I can get that tone from my strat but holy hell is it hard to get that feel right when you play his songs

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Most of what makes SRV so different is his attitude :agreed:

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.570 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

He just plays like he doesn't give a shit. And its totally awesome :bowdown:

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
The way he just attacks the strings with the pick and grabs the strings for bends and vibrato, man that shit is intense.
Every guitarist needs to watch the El Mocambo DVD. A fantastic lesson in intensity and aggression in lead guitar playing

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I assume that the El Mocambo in question is the one in Toronto? If so, that makes me feel oddly patriotic and proud.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Linux armv7l; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20110902 Firefox/6.0.1 Fennec/6.0.2)

SRV was one of the rarest of beeds: someone with a master's control over his instrument, yet played with total fearlessness and utter abandon.

·
Registered
238 Posts
SRV is one of those guys where I bought some of his song books because I had to learn those songs...then I get about 10 measures in and realize I'm in WAY over my head and go back to AC/DC rhythms.

I think he played w/ 14's too - and of course everything down 1/2 step.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Usually 12s or 13s, but anything past that is really just splitting hairs anyway, haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts