I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Great, now I'll be listening to SRV all day again. :lol:

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I aim to please. :lol:

I somehow knew you'd be the first to respond, Dave. I think we're brothers.

Hold me.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Those three string half and whole step bends are insane. I wish I had half his hand strength.

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
Live at El Mocambo is one of the most amazing things I have ever watched.

Props for you for reminding me how awesome it is. I may have to pull it off the shelf again tonight

A little more for good measure.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
His vibrato is perfect. No one else comes close to that.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And I have to amend my first statement - this is one of the best performances of anything I've ever seen or heard.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Isn't it weird how awesome playing like this is both inspiring and disheartening? I thought to myself after Dave's comment, "Yep. Man, I'm glad I'm, not a blues guy. I think I'd give up." :lol: But at the same time, if this doesn't make you wanna play guitar...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Isn't it weird how awesome playing like this is both inspiring and disheartening? I thought to myself after Dave's comment, "Yep. Man, I'm glad I'm, not a blues guy. I think I'd give up." :lol: But at the same time, if this doesn't make you wanna play guitar...
It's not even the technique that is so disheartening, since aside from some physical limitations, his chops aren't anything out of reach for me. It is fearless playing and dominating command of his genre that made him so untouchable. Rather than sounding like an encyclopedia of licks and riffs, it all comes across as one seamless style that is unique to Stevie. Hell, you can listen to him play with Albert King, where he purposely plays exactly like King in tribute, and I can still tell it is him.

His level of confidence and dominance is why he is on the really short list of guys like Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen. Very few guys can ride on one rail without tipping the train over.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's not even the technique that is so disheartening, since aside from some physical limitations, his chops aren't anything out of reach for me. It is fearless playing and dominating command of his genre that made him so untouchable. Rather than sounding like an encyclopedia of licks and riffs, it all comes across as one seamless style that is unique to Stevie. Hell, you can listen to him play with Albert King, where he purposely plays exactly like King in tribute, and I can still tell it is him.

His level of confidence and dominance is why he is on the really short list of guys like Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen. Very few guys can ride on one rail without tipping the train over.
:agreed: Absolutely. I can do pretty much anything Stevie does (broadly speaking. After all these years, I'm pretty darn good on guitar, like yourself, I'm sure.) But with that kind of emotion and intensity? Fearlessness... great term. Perfect description. I fuckin' strive for that. It allows all that raw badassness to come out, and just grab your soul.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
Live at El Mocambo is a great DVD. I got my copy a few years ago, and I still watch it now and then.
Lenny is the best performance on there IMHO

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
His vibrato is perfect. No one else comes close to that.
Personally I'm a much bigger fan of wider vibrato (Malmsteen, Mikael Akerfeldt, Adrian Smith, the Amott brothers etc) :shrug:
But I guess players phrase in a certain way that matches their vibrato, so what works for Adrian Smith wouldn't necessarily work for SRV

1 - 20 of 32 Posts