Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Charvel Spectrum in the mail, already loaded with EMGs (S or SA, didn't ask which) which I know fucking rule for a lot of stuff, but I don't think they are really designed for extreme metal. Hopefully they work out, but if not I'd like a backup plan.

Specifically looking at the single sized Super Distortion and Screamin Demon. Also interested in Bill Lawrence's, but I don't see the 500 in a single coil form factor.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You might be surprised. Teles sound great tuned low and played fast with lots of gain. Otherwise, maybe a Hot Rails?

·
Mod Britannia
7,232 Posts
Well EMG S/SA's are basically a humbucker wired in parallel rather than a true single coil, so you might find they work out. Failing that, a friend used to have a Strat with Lace Sensor singles (can't remember which ones) that worked really, really well for metal.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Yeah, a ton of clarity and impact under high gain, but not much chug. I haven't done much of this, but layering singlecoils against humbuckers can sound pretty fucking massive.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
The Hot Rails pickups might be what you want. Hot Rails bridge is supposed to be a tighter Invader I think? Pair it with a Cool Rails in the middle and neck.

I do wish Becky made a single-sized L500XL, though. I fucking LOVE my 500XL.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
You could also swap the tone control on the EMGs for their active SPC module.

EMG Pickups / SPC / Electric Guitar Pickups, Bass Guitar Pickups, Acoustic Guitar Pickups

The SPC or "Strat Presence Control" is often called the fat control. The original intent of the SPC was to allow guitar players to boost the midrange and volume of their single coil pickup to give it a sound similar to a humbucker. This is accomplished by boosting the gain in a broad mid-band fashion and reducing the highs as you turn the knob up. The result is a fatter, louder tone from any single coil pickup. It can also be used with a humbucker to increase your overall volume and midrange for a really fat tone that's great for slide guitar.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
I've got a Mini ToneZone in the Ibanez Fireman and it sounds great. Probably not as high of gain as you are looking for though. Also have a mini Duncan 59 in my Tele. Nice and meaty with the high gain.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Yeah, a ton of clarity and impact under high gain, but not much chug. I haven't done much of this, but layering singlecoils against humbuckers can sound pretty fucking massive.
:agreed: I did this all over my album.

https://soundcloud.com/johnny-glovasa/fuse

That's a borrowed Fender US Special Tele (Texas Special loaded IIRC) layered on top of a JB and an 81 on the entire rhythm track. After the recordings, I had to force myself to return the tele.

For OP, the JB Jr/Hot Rails may be what you want.

The SPC control is something I'm curious of. I was thinking of installing it in a guitar with an 81/85 but maybe a tad too redundant.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'd be interested to hear what you think of the EMG S/SA's in it. I've been thinking of throwing a set in my Silo Special and did wonder if they would have enough...'grunt' to keep me satisfied.

The SPC module that Darren mentioned sounds an interesting add-on though!

·
Read Only
1,264 Posts
I've got a Mini ToneZone in the Ibanez Fireman and it sounds great. Probably not as high of gain as you are looking for though. Also have a mini Duncan 59 in my Tele. Nice and meaty with the high gain.
Aye, I've got the ToneZoneT in the bridge of my tele and I imagine the strat one is equally awesome!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts