Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not sure which way to go here. I'm gonna do my warmoth up in red. Normally i would stain it red, and do a clear, but i want a super glassy finish here.
I ordered some nitrocellouse laquer and red transtint dye. It can either be used as a stain or to tint the laquer.

What are the differances really? Which would be brighter?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
It's my understanding that tinting the lacquer will give you a deeper finish, because light will have to travel through the tinted lacquer, bounce off the wood and then reflect back out through the tinted lacquer before reaching the eye. You'll likely get a more saturated colour that way.

I'd use light coats of dye on the wood to get to the saturation you want, and then maybe do a dark grain filler to give it some contrast. Also keep in mind that the nitro will also yellow slightly over time, which will also slightly increase the saturation of reds a bit.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
It's my understanding that tinting the lacquer will give you a deeper finish, because light will have to travel through the tinted lacquer, bounce off the wood and then reflect back out through the tinted lacquer before reaching the eye. You'll likely get a more saturated colour that way.

I'd use light coats of dye on the wood to get to the saturation you want, and then maybe do a dark grain filler to give it some contrast. Also keep in mind that the nitro will also yellow slightly over time, which will also slightly increase the saturation of reds a bit.
this :agreed: and definitely fill the grain with black so it will pop

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Even just clearcoating it could bring that flame to life. Mike Sherman knows some tricks to bring out the figure without tinting the wood, but they involve highly toxic chemicals. :erk:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.