Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering this for a while. When I play in dropped tunings, my writing style drastically differs to when I play in standard tuning. Neither writing is 'better' than the other, just differs alot. Kinda hard to describe. Does anyone else find this?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Dropped as in the interval of a fifth between the 6 and fifth strings? Or dropped as in lowering every string from concert pitch a set number of semitones?

I actually never do the former :lol: Only the latter, DGCFAD is my main tuning, or sometimes DGCFBbEb

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Yeah, definitely. That's one of the reasons I like altered tunings. Personally I find if you give me a guitar in a dropped tuning I start writing groovy Kings X or Lamb of God style stuff, whereas if you give me one in standard it's more like Nevermore or Death.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also there are two schools of thought I've noticed when it comes to dropped tunings in extreme metal.

The first and most common is convenience. Lots of people love being able to barre and form a powerchord with one finger :lol:

The less common one is more inline with classical guitar. Arsis does this alot, its more about wanting to preserve the concert intervals on strings 1-5 but needing the lowest note to be a whole tone lower in the context of the song. If you listen to arsis, their CGCFAD ("drop c") songs use very few notes on the 6th string compared to other drop c artists, the main one is just the low c. This is more similar to classical guitar drop d style than the metal application of drop tuning, in which case barred powerchords on the 5th and 6th strings are viewed as the main advantage.

·
EFILNIKUFESIN
1,657 Posts
I tune AEAEAE, and it's dropped, not dropped, dropped again, not dropped again, dropped, and not dropped again!:)

I like to play classic thrash-Speed Metal with the Un-drooped E string. But love the extreme well vibrating AEAEAE Powerchords heheh.

So I have All the Groove, technical speed riffing and nice bluesy A chords with one tuning!

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I've rarely tuned my guitars in drop-tuning. The only time I ever wrote anything in a "drop" tuning was years ago when I came up with the brilliant idea of tunings that (sort of) spell out words, and I wrote a nice little piece in DADDEE tuning.

Since I don't do much riffing anymore, I don't get much advantage out of drop tuning.

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
I've been using GDADGBE and it makes a *huge* difference in all of my playing - not just heavy noisy nonsense. I've wanted to try something even more fifths-heavy (FCGDAE, perhaps) on a six but I can't manage the huge strings as easily.

Jeff

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
I've been using GDADGBE and it makes a *huge* difference in all of my playing - not just heavy noisy nonsense. I've wanted to try something even more fifths-heavy (FCGDAE, perhaps) on a six but I can't manage the huge strings as easily.

Jeff
You mean your telephone cable string won't go down that low? :lol:

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
Dude has a .92 on his low string. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts

Jeff
Have you tried New Standard Tuning? It's tuned low-to high: C-G-D-A-E-g, remembered by the device "California Guitarists Drop Acid Every Gig". Thank Mr. Fripp for that one :)

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
I tend to just tune B E A D G B E most of the time, but I do fuck around with drop D.
Will sometimes fuck with drop A, but not as frequently as using drop D.
That change in interval definitely allows some different chord voicings and riffage not possible with standard tuning.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts