Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
So good, I played it twice. Finished it and immediately fired up a Grandmaster run. Couple of really minor gripes (really needs some limited fast travel, or at least an extra landing zone or two in each planet to make backtracking less painful. A lot of the skill tree upgrades are kinda underwhelming), but goddamn, this is an impressive first crack at this kind of game for an FPS dev. I can't wait for the inevitable sequel, or at least a challenge mode like the Arkham games had.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I beat this a few weeks ago. Overall, I thought it was a good game, but there were some things about it that REALLY annoyed me, such as finding where you're supposed to go -- or more specifically how to get there. They have some planets that you go to multiple times and they just expect you to understand how to get to a certain location. So much just wandering around trying to figure out how to get to the destination on the map. Plus, the lack of fast travel is super annoying, like how you get the deepest into an area, but instead of instantly taking you back to your ship like a lot of games, you have to go back yourself. And that can be especially annoying because you oftentimes can't go back exactly the way you came, so it can take twice as long to get back to your ship as it did to get to the place you were going to in the first place. They could've at least added an item that takes you back to the ship (for example, a radio or location transmitter, etc.). There were also some really annoying puzzles, mostly annoying because the area is huge, but they don't necessarily give you any hints about where you're supposed to go.

So, yeah, a good game, but seriously flawed and way overrated in my opinion.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Haven't played it but I haven't loved the last couple Star Wars games. I think the last one I enjoyed was probably the first Force Unleashed, and everything since I just couldnt keep up the excitement to fight through. Last one was probably Battlefront 2, I got tired of being killed by 10 year old kids, tried the campaign and it was just... not fun.

I'll prolly try this when it's like, sub-$20 because I can't roll the dice on another SW title at full price.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Haven't played it but I haven't loved the last couple Star Wars games. I think the last one I enjoyed was probably the first Force Unleashed, and everything since I just couldnt keep up the excitement to fight through. Last one was probably Battlefront 2, I got tired of being killed by 10 year old kids, tried the campaign and it was just... not fun.

I'll prolly try this when it's like, sub-$20 because I can't roll the dice on another SW title at full price.
If you've got a PS4 you can have my copy.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
So, yeah, a good game, but seriously flawed and way overrated in my opinion.
Agree. I'd give it a 3/5 rating, i.e. entertaining but not a masterpiece.

One of the more annoying things for me is the respawning enemies - that combined with having to backtrack to get to the ship really sucks. It just feels like they're artificially increasing the length of the game without adding any content. Respawning enemies was the main reason why I couldn't stand playing Dragon Age 2 until I found the "instakill all enemies on screen"-script.

I also find the writing and characters a bit bland and boring, the prequel-trilogy era setting doesn't perhaps help. The gameplay and combat is pretty fun though, which makes it playable. It's a bit like the gameplay making Far Cry 3 a great game, despite the protagonist and his friends being so annoying you basically didn't want them to survive, and the plot just being filler.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Agree. I'd give it a 3/5 rating, i.e. entertaining but not a masterpiece.

One of the more annoying things for me is the respawning enemies - that combined with having to backtrack to get to the ship really sucks. It just feels like they're artificially increasing the length of the game without adding any content. Respawning enemies was the main reason why I couldn't stand playing Dragon Age 2 until I found the "instakill all enemies on screen"-script.

I also find the writing and characters a bit bland and boring, the prequel-trilogy era setting doesn't perhaps help. The gameplay and combat is pretty fun though, which makes it playable. It's a bit like the gameplay making Far Cry 3 a great game, despite the protagonist and his friends being so annoying you basically didn't want them to survive, and the plot just being filler.
Far Cry 3 is actually my favorite Far Cry game, though that does not mean I think his friends aren't annoying (they are).

And yeah, the respawning enemies was so annoying that I'd oftentimes save, then just run past the enemies, ignoring as many as possible, since if I fought them again, I'd just have to save and heal, resulting in them respawning again.

I loved Dragon Age: Origins, was annoyed with Dragon Age 2 (but I beat it and even wrote a song with lyrics based off of its loading screens), and HATED Dragon's Age: Inquisition (so I quit it about 75% into the game because it just had driven me to the end of my sanity). Despite loving Dragon Age: Origins, Bioware has successfully convinced me to never buy another Dragon Age game again (although I kind of doubt they'll ever make another one).

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Just finished this. Good game, definitely would recommend buying it on a Steam Sale or something. There were some things that annoyed me, mainly the respawning enemies (they could at least not respawn the exact same enemies in the exact same places) and some timing issues with parrying/blocking/dodging - felt like I got killed 20 times in the final boss fight because it didn't block when I pressed block or dodge when I pressed dodge. But overall, a good entertaining game with a pretty good story and quite likeable characters.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
RPG? It had a skill system, but otherwise I don't think it had any RPG elements. It's more like Tomb Raider with lightsabers.
Agreed. It definitely was no RPG by any stretch of the definition. It was an action-adventure game with a decent amount of platforming and puzzle solving. I hardly think improving your skills or getting new lightsabers is limited to just RPGs.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
RPG? It had a skill system, but otherwise I don't think it had any RPG elements. It's more like Tomb Raider with lightsabers.
I was going to say you Naren'd me but then of course Naren chimed in. :lol: Whatever you want to classify it as, I didn't like it once the puzzling and platforming started up. It was poorly done.

I knew when I made the post that Naren would be in to correct me because I didn't correctly categorize it into the proper sub-genre. I don't really give a fuck if it's technically an RPG by definition or not, call it a mediocre action adventure if that makes you guys happier. :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I was going to say you Naren'd me but then of course Naren chimed in. :lol: Whatever you want to classify it as, I didn't like it once the puzzling and platforming started up. It was poorly done.

I knew when I made the post that Naren would be in to correct me because I didn't correctly categorize it into the proper sub-genre. I don't really give a fuck if it's technically an RPG by definition or not, call it a mediocre action adventure if that makes you guys happier. :lol:
You only played it for 2 hours, so I hardly think you're an arbiter on the kind of game it is. :lol: But yeah, you'll see that I kind of agree with you that it's "mediocre" (from my previous posts in this thread). I don't know if I'd go quite THAT far, to be honest, though, since it is an enjoyable game and well made, but it is definitely overrated and had quite a few flaws and annoying parts.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You only played it for 2 hours, so I hardly think you're an arbiter on the kind of game it is. :lol: .
[naren]
I never said I only played it for two hours. Nothing in my post says "I only played it for two hours". You have no basis for thinking that I only played it for two hours, so I can't fathom why you would possibly think that I only played it for two hours. The phase "only played it for two hours" doesn't exist anywhere in my post. It only exists in your post, which boggles the mind as to how you could come to that conclusion since I never once said I only played it for two hours.
[/naren]

#getnarened

My post says that I enjoyed the first two hours. I played quite a bit more than that. :fawk: If this wasn't a Star Wars game it would get universally panned. It's a bummer because like I said on the first page, the opening sequences are great.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
My post says that I enjoyed the first two hours. I played quite a bit more than that. :fawk: If this wasn't a Star Wars game it would get universally panned. It's a bummer because like I said on the first page, the opening sequences are great.
Well, excuuuuuuse me, princess.

I definitely think it wouldn't have sold as much as it did or gotten as much attention as it did if it wasn't a Star Wars game, but I don't think it would've been panned. Just a much lower profile if it wasn't connected to a famous IP. In fact, I'd probably cut it more slack if it wasn't a Star Wars game. :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.