Metal Guitarist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 118 Posts
4,429 Posts
Darth was pure evil bad guy in A New Hope, and didn't really show any inkling of anything else until Jedi, IIRC. Especially if you blacked out between 1997 and 2005.
He becomes pretty multi dimensional in Empire Strikes Back. I always thought it was implied that he uses the force to tell R2 how to fix the falcon so Luke can get away.

4,429 Posts
I thought The Force Awakens was great, not sure what the dislike is about. :lol:

I don't WANT simple, purely evil bad guys. I mean, I think one of the things that makes Darth Vader such an awesome villian is because he's NOT a simple, purely evil bad guy. I don't think that's a fair criticism to make at Force Awakens or thing to praise Rogue One for, considering the history of the series.
It's like MIB 2, enjoyable but the entire thing is a cliched reference to the original.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Kylo Ren wasn't purely or even nuanced evil. He was a 'mad at dad' emo kid.
To me, Hulk's point aside, lol, that's actually the most interesting part about his character - he really wants to be a villian just like Vader, yet he's kind of failing at it. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
He becomes pretty multi dimensional in Empire Strikes Back. I always thought it was implied that he uses the force to tell R2 how to fix the falcon so Luke can get away.
Whereas I always thought it was obvious that R2D2 learned from the Cloud City computer system what was done to disable the Falcon hyperdrive. It's the whole reason for the C3PO "talking to strange computers" quip.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
That doesn't make any sense at all. Vader wanted to trap Luke and apprehend him.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Except they were about to shoot the Millenium Falcon out of the sky. I honestly don't remember the cloud city bit, it's been half a decade since I've seen it.
No. Vader commanded them to gather a boarding party right before R2 fixed the hyperdrive and the Falcon took off into hyperspace. Have... have you seen the movie??

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hint hint : french title is "Les derniers Jedi"... Which means there's more than one Jedi. :)

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Seen it already last night at the midnight premiere.

Well...at least Jar Jar is not in it. That's something i guess...

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
^

I’ve read some good and some bad reviews. But... Nothing more positive to add? :lol:

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
^

I've read some good and some bad reviews. But... Nothing more positive to add? :lol:
It's not all shit, but I have to keep it spoiler free. :lol:

But please don't get me wrong - I LOVE Star Wars, it is like a religion for me. That's why I am so major fucking disappointed. I went to a midnight premiere, when I am in between exams and the most horrible work situation I have ever been, but it is A NEW STAR WARS EPISODE. I really really enjoyed Episode VII, and I think Rogue One is the best thing since the original trilogy. I was never worried about the "Disney" thing, because they did great with the Marvel Franchise and so on and so on.

The more I am disappointed that exactly this happened. It's a fucking Disney movie. 30% of the movie is either "cute animal thingies doing funny things" or some slapstock shit that seems more like the Star Wars cast would do on a Saturday Night Life Special. Or Spaceballs. Part of it makes you feel like watching Spaceballs. Not that this is a bad thing, but it's not what I want when I am watching the new SW Episode. I like humor in SW movies, but this is far too much.

There are 3 major plot lines, out of which 2 straight up SUCK. One is completely useless, that adds nothing to the story, fucking filler material with fucking filler material characters. I was sitting in the cinema and i wanted to be in awe and in love so bad, I wanted to be ashamed for tears of joy and manly tears of emotion.

And I was fucking BORED. I sat there and thought "Why are they showing this? Who the fuck cares? Why not focus on something that is actually RELEVANT?"

The AT-AT's got a fucking GORILLA FACELIFT, or whatever the fuck that should be...they were (obviously?) originally modelled after Elefants. Now they got a fucking monkey bodykit. The front feet are turned backwards like a Gorilla moving forward (you can see this in the last trailer already, which I didn't see before), and they have "evil eyes" and shit. Is this serious? What is this?...

EDIT: Spoiler free article about the Gorilla-AT-AT a.k.a. AT-M6:
https://www.inverse.com/article/35908-star-wars-the-last-jedi-gorilla-snowspeeder-walker-atat-atm6

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I've also read something about that "Spaceballs" feeling... Damn. :(

Star Wars is also a religion to me. I've got my tickets for a screening monday end of afternoon.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
I just saw it. I liked it a lot. Sure it's been Disney-fied like the MCU, Pixar and whatever franchise the Mouse has since assimilated to it's collective overmind, but this is the world we live in.

It's not perfect, and I thought the second act dragged on may be too much, but it's the logical step after Ep.VII, in a similar way they got another director after IV to do a darker and more character based sequel. I had a lot of faith in Rian Johnson being chosen and I'm glad he was. He can go and make as many Star Wars movies as he wants to be honest.

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
It's not all shit, but I have to keep it spoiler free. :lol:

But please don't get me wrong - I LOVE Star Wars, it is like a religion for me. That's why I am so major fucking disappointed. I went to a midnight premiere, when I am in between exams and the most horrible work situation I have ever been, but it is A NEW STAR WARS EPISODE. I really really enjoyed Episode VII, and I think Rogue One is the best thing since the original trilogy. I was never worried about the "Disney" thing, because they did great with the Marvel Franchise and so on and so on.

The more I am disappointed that exactly this happened. It's a fucking Disney movie. 30% of the movie is either "cute animal thingies doing funny things" or some slapstock shit that seems more like the Star Wars cast would do on a Saturday Night Life Special. Or Spaceballs. Part of it makes you feel like watching Spaceballs. Not that this is a bad thing, but it's not what I want when I am watching the new SW Episode. I like humor in SW movies, but this is far too much.

There are 3 major plot lines, out of which 2 straight up SUCK. One is completely useless, that adds nothing to the story, fucking filler material with fucking filler material characters. I was sitting in the cinema and i wanted to be in awe and in love so bad, I wanted to be ashamed for tears of joy and manly tears of emotion.

And I was fucking BORED. I sat there and thought "Why are they showing this? Who the fuck cares? Why not focus on something that is actually RELEVANT?"

The AT-AT's got a fucking GORILLA FACELIFT, or whatever the fuck that should be...they were (obviously?) originally modelled after Elefants. Now they got a fucking monkey bodykit. The front feet are turned backwards like a Gorilla moving forward (you can see this in the last trailer already, which I didn't see before), and they have "evil eyes" and shit. Is this serious? What is this?...

EDIT: Spoiler free article about the Gorilla-AT-AT a.k.a. AT-M6:
https://www.inverse.com/article/35908-star-wars-the-last-jedi-gorilla-snowspeeder-walker-atat-atm6
Saw it at the midnight premiere and had exactly the same feeling as you. Why the fuck did the director just keep going for cheap laughs? And why did he totally ruin the iconic scene that JJ left as a cliffhanger at the end of VII? And of course there's 'that' scene which I'm sure will become an Internet meme as soon as enough people have seen the movie.

There was some brilliant stuff in there, but he was handed something potentially great and made it around 65% good. I saw VII and VIII back to back and VII is twice the movie.

Spaceballs has been on my mind all day too.

21 - 40 of 118 Posts