Metal Guitarist Forums banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I agree with everything Drew is saying here. One caveat though, is that I loved the world-building in the prequels. We know a lot about Naboo, Coruscant, Tattooine, the nature of the Jedi, the nature of the sith, etc., from watching just the first two prequels. The backstory and the subplots were really good, though the acting, directing, and flow was simply terrible.

One more side thought here on the new movies. I loved Rogue One b/c it felt like one of the EU books come to life. It just had the feel to it of reading the X-wing series, or something. Having said that, while I like Ep. 7 and 8, I feel like the Thrawn trilogy was better. Seeing Luke at the end of 8 as a complete badass made me really wish we had a bit more of him in his 30s, post-ROTJ to explore like we did in the Thrawn books. Han, Leia, Luke, and Mara all running around with their own storylines was a bit more fun for me I guess, reading more stories with classic characters.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Next to Vader, Thrawn is absolutely the greatest villain we've ever seen in the Star Wars universe, and those books gave us the inverse of the original prequels; the New Republic was strong and well established, and the weakened Empire was forced to wage a gorilla campaign with it's diminished resources. Grand Admiral Thrawn was constantly two steps ahead of the Republic, and the scene where he promoted the tractor beam operator that failed to capture the Millennium Falcon, simply because he displayed sound judgement and quick thinking in a scenario that was far out of specifications for a tractor beam, demonstrated a respect for his subordinates that were never shown by senior Imperial Officers. I knew it was impossible that we would ever get a sequel trilogy that could even come close to touching those Timothy Zahn novels.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I remember going to see it in the theaters as an 18 year old in 1999 and being really excited to see a new Star Wars movie... And then, almost immediately having a growing sense that all was not well in the world that came to a head around the time they were taking a submarine through the planet and a bigger fish swallowed the fish that was about to swallow the submarine. It was bad.
Noooooo shit. I remember a big group of us queuing in line for hours on opening night, tons of people cosplaying their favorite characters, and them bringing the lights up after the previews to announce a bunch of things. There was such a sense of excitement in the theater, and after about thirty minutes of Jar Jar it was all gone. People actually booed as the closing credits ran.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Next to Vader, Thrawn is absolutely the greatest villain we've ever seen in the Star Wars universe, and those books gave us the inverse of the original prequels; the New Republic was strong and well established, and the weakened Empire was forced to wage a gorilla campaign with it's diminished resources. Grand Admiral Thrawn was constantly two steps ahead of the Republic, and the scene where he promoted the tractor beam operator that failed to capture the Millennium Falcon, simply because he displayed sound judgement and quick thinking in a scenario that was far out of specifications for a tractor beam, demonstrated a respect for his subordinates that were never shown by senior Imperial Officers. I knew it was impossible that we would ever get a sequel trilogy that could even come close to touching those Timothy Zahn novels.
Agreed 100% :agreed:

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Thrawn did make his way into Disney canon via Star Wars Rebels, and he's very much the same character as in the original Novels, even if his arc is obviously changed from Legends. Although Rebels suffers a bit from being on Disney XD, the new Thrawn novel (written by Zahn) is great and there's a new one coming out later this year.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
the new Thrawn novel (written by Zahn) is great and there's a new one coming out later this year.
Wait, what? I didn't know he was writing more Star Wars novels.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I can understand someone hating The Last Jedi, since it's such a radical departure, but ranking it lower than the three prequels? You really think it was a bigger pile of garbage than those?
The audience score on Rotten Tomatoes agrees with me :lol: Attack of the Clones has a 57% audience score, Phantom Menace a 59%, and Revenge of the Sith a 65%. Meanwhile, Last Jedi is still sitting at 50%.

It absolutely was a bigger pile of garbage than any of those. I don't even watch Phantom Menace when I binge through Star Wars, but TLJ is definitely worse.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The audience score on Rotten Tomatoes agrees with me :lol: Attack of the Clones has a 57% audience score, Phantom Menace a 59%, and Revenge of the Sith a 65%. Meanwhile, Last Jedi is still sitting at 50%.

It absolutely was a bigger pile of garbage than any of those. I don't even watch Phantom Menace when I binge through Star Wars, but TLJ is definitely worse.
The audience score is also triggered by a bunch of bandwagoning alt-righters who hate that there are a range of genders and races represented as "heroes."

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Thrawn is not the greatest villain in the Star Wars EU. He's up there, but it's close.

-Kreia/Darth Traya
-REVAN
-Exar Kun
-Naga Sadow

Prince Xisor kind of falls by the way side as "THE WEIRDLY COLORED MAN WHO ISN'T THRAWN", but he had his moments too. Not as cool as Thrawn, but funner to hate.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Yeah, while in general the idea of trying to rank them is hard to get my head around, I think you can still make some broad generalizations, like the first two prequels, and especially the first, were abysmal.

I remember going to see it in the theaters as an 18 year old in 1999 and being really excited to see a new Star Wars movie... And then, almost immediately having a growing sense that all was not well in the world that came to a head around the time they were taking a submarine through the planet and a bigger fish swallowed the fish that was about to swallow the submarine. It was bad.

I get not loving The Last Jedi, I guess... But I think you're repressing just how bad The Phantom Menace was. :lol:

Barring the first two, though, I don't think I could really rank one over the others. They all have their strong suits, and were all good for different reasons.
GTFO, the fish scene is a classic.

I was like 8 when The Phantom Menace came out, so I was definitely a fan.

The Phantom Menace was definitely the best of the prequels. It was just bat shit insane stupidity. The other two suck in comparison. The Phantom Menace is just like, a bunch of bizarro shit that came out of nowhere and is still kind of charming in its own really stupid way. All the sequels blow, but The Phantom Menace is so bad it's good.

Also, the merchandising push for The Phantom Menace, if you were a kid when it came out, was the greatest thing ever. The Star Wars merchandising machine is always fearsome, but when the Phantom Menace came out and they really fired it up to 11 it was the stuff of legend. They had three different home shopping channels playing around the clock "call to order" stuff for like three months as a lead up to the film. The Phantom Menace was definitely awesome if you were under 11 when it came out.

The Phantom Menace was just childish stupidity, zillions of new action figures, and the greatest lightsaber duel ever.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
You bet your ass I was Darth Maul that halloween.

In retrospect Darth Maul is a really stupid character, but at the age of 8-9 he was the greatest thing ever.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The audience score is also triggered by a bunch of bandwagoning alt-righters who hate that there are a range of genders and races represented as "heroes."
"Fans" that were totally OK with the villains in The Phantom Menace being a bunch awful Asian stereotypes, and the comic relief being an awful Jamaican stereotype.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
That or it's just a shitty movie :shrug:
Nah, mother of all selection bias. The vast majority of negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes were for new accounts, and most were deleted or closed after opening, whereas the longer-running users tended to rate it much more favorably. Best case, a minority of angry vans vented on the site; worst case, it was a bunch of shell accounts.

The Curious Case Of THE LAST JEDI And Its Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score | Birth.Movies.Death.

Exit polling suggests it's been as popular as The Force Awakens and Rogue One, which is a further reason to cast doubt on the Rotten Tomatoes numbers.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
I think the part where Jurassic park girl rams the ship into the bigger ship was awesome. It also confirms my theory on the rebels being radical terrorists. The empire did nothing wrong.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts