·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

I guess Han didn't shoot first. :shrug:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
This was definitely the "funniest" Star Wars movie, right from the start. The part where Poe is being held captive, and he goes "how does this work, do you talk first, do I talk first?" was great. IMO, the new actors were definitely the best part of this.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

I guess Han didn't shoot first. :shrug:
:lol:

Losing Han was tough - he's such a badass character - but IMO his death was the most honorable in the movie. By that I mean it was written with a ton of respect for the character. It hit you like a ton of bricks, but somehow wasn't really a surprise as it happened.

My biggest question coming away from this is both Finn and Rey, at one point, wield Luke's old lightsaber. Rey clearly has untapped potential to wield the Force, but nothing's said about Finn or if there was I missed it. In the previous movies only Jedis or Sith lords use lightsabers - is that because they're the only ones who CAN, or is it by convention? I.e - is Finn also going to be a Jedi?

I didn't mind whats-his-name's mask coming off when it did - it was actually a huge surprise, and kind of an interesting riff on the original. :lol:

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
only Jedis or Sith lords use lightsabers - is that because they're the only ones who CAN, or is it by convention? I.e - is Finn also going to be a Jedi?
Han used a Lightsabre in Empire to cut open a Tauntaun, I think non Jedi/Sith might have used them in the prequels but I can't say I've watched them a whole bunch. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Losing Han was tough - he's such a badass character - but IMO his death was the most honorable in the movie. By that I mean it was written with a ton of respect for the character. It hit you like a ton of bricks, but somehow wasn't really a surprise as it happened.

My biggest question coming away from this is both Finn and Rey, at one point, wield Luke's old lightsaber. Rey clearly has untapped potential to wield the Force, but nothing's said about Finn or if there was I missed it. In the previous movies only Jedis or Sith lords use lightsabers - is that because they're the only ones who CAN, or is it by convention? I.e - is Finn also going to be a Jedi?

I didn't mind whats-his-name's mask coming off when it did - it was actually a huge surprise, and kind of an interesting riff on the original. :lol:
My theory is that Finn using the lightsaber was really just a twist, and that he's not a Jedi, nor is he going to be. With all the trailers and promotional material, they wanted everyone to think he was the new Jedi, and then they basically show him getting his ass handed to him (even by a storm trooper), and then reveal that Rey is actually the new Jedi.

And judging by how she fended off Ren twice, first by way of the mind reading resistance, then with the actual saber, all without any training whatsoever, shows how powerful she probably is. Remember, Luke couldn't do shit without training. Rey is already taking down an experienced dark force user.

Also, General Grievous used multiple lightsabers, and he wasn't Jedi nor Sith. It's generally because only Jedi or Sith use them traditionally; not because no one else can.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Also, loved the shit out of the film. My only complaint was some stuff seemed rushed and lacked impact, for instance the destruction of the Republic planets, I was a bit confused as to whether they'd blown up Coruscant or something... From what I've read after it was just some Republic system, but thats still probably trillions of people and the general reaction was that of "Oh shit! That's kinda bad". It didn't quite have the gravitas of the destruction of Alderaan in A New Hope.

Still would love to catch it in the IMAX whilst I can though as it certainly warrants a few more viewings.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Han used a Lightsabre in Empire to cut open a Tauntaun, I think non Jedi/Sith might have used them in the prequels but I can't say I've watched them a whole bunch. :lol:
Oh right. :lol: I guess, while it may be a more refined weapon from a more civilized age, it sort of lacks the range of a blaster, which is a pretty big impediment if you DON'T use the force. :lol:

I saw it in Imax 3D, and actually really want to see it in conventional film now.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Oh right. :lol: I guess, while it may be a more refined weapon from a more civilized age, it sort of lacks the range of a blaster, which is a pretty big impediment if you DON'T use the force. :lol:

I saw it in Imax 3D, and actually really want to see it in conventional film now.
Me too. I think the IMAX/3D might have distracted a little from the actual story and nuances.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
This was definitely the "funniest" Star Wars movie, right from the start. The part where Poe is being held captive, and he goes "how does this work, do you talk first, do I talk first?" was great. IMO, the new actors were definitely the best part of this.
+a billion

I wasn't that big on the script, but the actors absolutely knocked it out of the park. The actors that played Rey and Po were incredibly engaging, and I found myself emotionally invested in their characters nearly from the start. I didn't care for the actor who played Kylo Ren at first, but reading this really changed my perspective of the character. He really was a ball of emotional confusion and rage, pitching dangerous temper tantrums, which worked for character development.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'll just be happy when 2015 dies down and the amount of media stuff that came out at the same time that reduced myself and a depressing amount of people I know into giant man children dies down.

Seriously, I'm ashamed enough over giving in to Fallout 4 and then Star Wars, but some of you guys...

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
+a billion

I wasn't that big on the script, but the actors absolutely knocked it out of the park. The actors that played Rey and Po were incredibly engaging, and I found myself emotionally invested in their characters nearly from the start. I didn't care for the actor who played Kylo Ren at first, but reading this really changed my perspective of the character. He really was a ball of emotional confusion and rage, pitching dangerous temper tantrums, which worked for character development.
Yup, absolutely agree with all of that article. Despite Adam Driver looking like a complete doofus with the mask off, he really does pull off the character in a way Hayden Christensen never could with Anakin.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Me too. I think the IMAX/3D might have distracted a little from the actual story and nuances.
So much this. Like I said in the other thread, saw it in 2D the second time and it changes everything.

I was really shocked when Solo died. He was my favorite. :(

+a billion

So true.
And I was shocked at how young he looks when we first see him... But it makes total sense once we learn he is the son of Leia and Solo.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
+a billion

Yeah, I thought Kylo Ren was one of the best parts of the film, for all the reasons mentioned in that article. Trying to out-badass Darth Vader was always going to be futile, so I'm glad they went in another direction and created a pretty interesting character while still pulling using elements of Anakin/Vader. Having him come off as Darth Vader v2.0 at the start of the movie and then gradually revealing him to be an unstable, emotional adolescent pretending to be Darth Vader was very clever IMO. It also nicely mirrors how Rey gradually becomes Luke over the course of the movie (because she's totally his daughter).

Seriously, I'm ashamed enough over giving in to Fallout 4 and then Star Wars, but some of you guys...
Oh hush, you. :lol:

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Saw it a second time this weekend with my nephew and found it even better the second time. They do play off of the original but given the time since the first one and trying to reboot the series I can understand why. We had talked about the jagged nature of Kylo Ren's saber having to do with his being still learning the dark side but I noticed that when he blocked the blaster shot that Po shot at him in the village it was also jagged, maybe it was just to give it some visual appeal more than his level of mastery of the dark side?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

I saw it coming from a mile away, since this was practically a clone of A New Hope. A droid gets sent off with important data that both sides are looking for. A young character with tons of untapped potential leaves a backwoods planet, full of idealistic spit and vinegar. The strong, wise mentor to the heroes is stuck down before he really has a chance to impart his collected wisdom upon the young, naive characters. If this wasn't a Star Wars movie, everyone would be saying it is ripping off Star Wars. :lol:

Han dying absolutely had to happen, though. The movie needed the impact of someone so important getting killed by the bad guys, and it really helped show Kylo Ren's evolution from a petulant teenager with a dangerous power into a monster capable of something as evil as patricide.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
^

@ BigDave : IMO, it has to do with his formation not beeing complete. He doesn't control all of it.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Yeah, I thought Kylo Ren was one of the best parts of the film, for all the reasons mentioned in that article. Trying to out-badass Darth Vader was always going to be futile, so I'm glad they went in another direction and created a pretty interesting character while still pulling using elements of Anakin/Vader. Having him come off as Darth Vader v2.0 at the start of the movie and then gradually revealing him to be an unstable, emotional adolescent pretending to be Darth Vader was very clever IMO. It also nicely mirrors how Rey gradually becomes Luke over the course of the movie (because she's totally his daughter).
:agreed:

Darth Vader was an older man who spent a lot of jaded years living his life committing atrocities, so the emotional disconnect makes a lot of sense. The Vader we see in a New Hope thinks his wife and kids are dead, and has nothing to anchor him in reality anymore; he didn't really see value in a single life at that point, so it made sense that he'd just off people to suit his needs. I love the scene with Kylo Ren talking to the Vader mask, trying to convince himself that he's some evil badass that needs to crush his positive feelings under his boot. I like that his relationship with the Supreme Leader (did anyone else expect Ayatollah Khomeini to show up?) was completely different from Vader and the Emperor; Vader was an extremely loyal servant for two and a half movies, almost treating the Emperor with the deference shown to a god, while Kylo Ren seemed more like an eager child trying to please his parents. Look, daddy, I can be a horrible person, too!

1 - 20 of 215 Posts