Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guitar was made by Rick Toone, a luthier obsessed with ergonomics in guitars; this is evident by the radically awesome body sytle.

Here is a boy shot showing off the H-S-S pickups, tremolo unit, and knobs. :yesway: Darren's Javelin body shape looks like a cousin of this guitar!

Huge backplate! Also, you can see the ergonomic shape some more.

Close-up of the H-S-S set up. Looks like Dimarzio's single coils maybe?

Here is a close-up of the neck joint. So sexy.

This guitar resides now with a man named Goran, who lives in Sweden. I can say I'm extremely jealous of him! It was built in 1993 was Toone's personal instrument, but I guess that Goran convinced him that he was the better owner, or just wagged enough money under his nose. I don't know. To top it all off, here is a video Goran made to an instrumental version of "Fire"(which is pretty awesome,with some soulful leads), written by Mr. Toone and performed/recorded with the Starfish:

Jealous, yes. This only makes me love walnut as a body wood even more!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've admired that guitar for a while now, but never seen the video. Thanks for finding that! I will say I'm not super pumped how far out the knobs are hanging, though. Also, if you like this sort of shape/style and walnut, check out Michael Spalt's Hybrid guitars:
apex guitars - Spalt Instruments

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've admired that guitar for a while now, but never seen the video. Thanks for finding that! I will say I'm not super pumped how far out the knobs are hanging, though. Also, if you like this sort of shape/style and walnut, check out Michael Spalt's Hybrid guitars:
apex guitars - Spalt Instruments
I see what you mean, but I like it a lot! I only wish it was a fixed bridge. Oh well, it doesn't matter! Also, I LOVE the Apex Q601 Walnut guitar.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
When I read Starfish guitar I was kinda scared to see what it was, but that thing looks pretty damn awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would love one. Really though, who asks a luthier, "I want a guitar exactly like that other one you made."

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)darren:phone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The only thing i don't like is that even with that huge cavity cover on the back, he still mounted the controls on a plate that's screwed to the face of the guitar. It would have looked so much cleaner with rear-mounted controls, in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)darren:phone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The only thing i don't like is that even with that huge cavity cover on the back, he still mounted the controls on a plate that's screwed to the face of the guitar. It would have looked so much cleaner with rear-mounted controls, in my opinion.
This. :yesway:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I would never want to play anything with rear mounted controls.

:2c:
I think darren meant Rear mounted (as in through the body) like on an RG570, vs front mounted (as in on a pickguard) such as on an RG550.

·
From the Grave
355 Posts
And for a guy obsessed with ergonomics, dont you think he would have thought to recess the covers? :spock:

:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And for a guy obsessed with ergonomics, dont you think he would have thought to recess the covers? :spock:

:lol:
Well he did built the guitar in 93', which was only a decade(?) into him being a luthier. I'm sure he probably would now. :yesway: Also, I cannot stop drooling over the Apex guitars! They are so sexy. :metal:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts