Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Starting my first builds!

5K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  zepp 
#1 ·
I've been sitting around designing stuff for a few years now, but decided to really go for it a few months ago. Ive got a few body designs for both guitar and bass, of various styles. I'm starting to build under the name Vera Loqui Guitarworks.

I've been really speccing and blueprinting one design for my first build.

Specs
Code:
BODY
	Shape	Libramen
	Wood		Ash
	Top		Flamed Koa or Zebrawood
	Contours	Tummy Cut, Forearm cut, Scalloped lower cutaway

NECK
	Wood		Indian Rosewood
	Fretboard	Indian Rosewood
	Joint		Neck Through
	# of Strings	6
	# of Frets	24
	Scale		23.5"-25" Fanned
	Shape		Asymmetrical Soft V
	Fret Size	Jumbo
	Fret Type	Stainless

HEADSTOCK	
	Shape		6 Inline Reverse
	Headplate	Flamed Koa or Zebrawood
	Style		13 Degree Tilt w/ Volute

ELECTRONICS
	Bridge Pickup	Custom Fanned Wolfetone Timberwolfe
	Neck Pickup	Custom Fanned Lollar Overwound P90 (Tapable)
	Controls	Master Volume, Master Tone, Master Low-Tone

HARDWARE
	Tuners		Steinberger Gearless
	Bridge		Custom Tele HB Style from Frets On The Net
	Knobs		Custom Ivoroid From Frets on The Net
	Nut		Custom Scalloped Bone

FINISHING
	Body Finish	Honey Purpleburst
	Neck Finish	Honey Purpleburst
	Body Binding	Ivoroid
	Neck Binding	Ivoroid
	HS Binding	Ivoroid
	Hardware Color	Gold
	Pickup Color	Creme
	Inlays		Brass Somogyi Rods

MISCELLANEOUS
Originally i wanted to do a neck through, but simply because a fucked up indian rosewood neck blank is much easier to replace in a set neck size. I already cut the stock down to make the body blank, and i'll be joining them in the next day or so after i tune up my hand planer. Im HOPING to find some figured koa veneer like in the mockup, but if not, i have a very nice chunk of zebrawood I'll use

I know this is a REALLY ambitious first build, but Im ok with that. Ill be documenting it all as it comes along

Im also building a new (all maple) body for my guild s300d in one of myown shapes.

See less See more
#11 ·
I hope he knows something about fanned frets :lol: I'd really really recommend straight fretted for the first build, it's way too big of a leap to go from no builds to fanned, IMO. I've been doing this 5 years now and I'm only JUST venturing into fanned frets.

#15 ·
Essentially. Getting them straight is a bit trickier than it sounds (Good luck doing that without some sort of physical guideline) but i have a scheme cooked up to make a miter box for it. The other thing is that unless you are very careful with how you compound the radius (IE, make one that you never would ever want to make), you end up with compound radii on each fret (instead of each fret being an individual, but single radius), as well as an actual twist in each fret. Thats the part that actually concerns me, but even if it takes a few fretboards getting chewed up, ill get it right eventually

#24 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sounds very ambitious, but there's nothing wrong with setting your sights high :yesway:

#26 ·
Btw, massive thanks to both darren and kim for their assistification in tweaking the design to its final form. Muy Appreciatado :agreed:

Anyone know a place that cuts custom templates for a reasonable price?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.