1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Might as well say "The internet is killing retail!" which it is, until people want actual customer service. Places with good customer service will survive this, big-box discount barns, not so much.
:agreed:

The main place I go to buy games when I'm not ordering them online (which is what I do most of the time) is this really cool shop with lots of rare games, lots of imported games, and used games in mint condition sold pretty cheap. It's just a fun place to go. But that's really one of the only places I consider buying games outside of the internet.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
PC selection has been slim since before steam came out, not sure when these people noticed that there were PC games. Babbages was one of the few places that actually sold PC games and since they and EB got bought by Gamestop now they have like 5 because Gamestop sucks. Bestbuy has an okay selection but is pitiful compared to what it used to be like.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Respectfully disagree. The allure of Steam is that I can buy a game, install it immediately without having to drive anywhere, and then I have it without having to worry about keeping a DVD in the drive, scratching a disc, or having game boxes laying around. If I get sick of the game, I can uninstall it, and install it again 1, 2, 5 years later down the road if I want to play it again.

I bought Half Life when it came out in 1998. I haven't had the physical media for it since who knows when, but if I want to play it today:

It's one click away, for a game that I bought 12 years ago. Digital distribution is awesome. Less waste, less boxes, less shit laying around. I love the XBox arcade, and wish that I could get new games from it on release day. I buy something, install it, play it until I'm sick of it, and then remove it knowing that 3 years from now if I want to play, for example, Mass Effect 1 again, I just install it again and I'm good to go.

It's not like you get customer service buying games at shops. You get a kid making $8/hour behind the counter whose job is to ring you up, and read Game Informer once in a while so that he can tell you what's coming out. It's no different than buying a gallon of milk.

Every distributor/developer should go the downloadable route if you ask me. People will buy more, because they can get it then and there, and it's way better for the consumer because of the above reasons.

Hell, I bought EZDrummer's digital DL off of Toontrack, and was using it 30 minutes later. That's a lot cooler than going on Amazon, waiting for shipping, and having to make sure the DVD is around and doesn't get a scratch on it.

·
18,790 Posts
It's not like you get customer service buying games at shops. You get a kid making $8/hour behind the counter whose job is to ring you up, and read Game Informer once in a while so that he can tell you what's coming out. It's no different than buying a gallon of milk.
At shitty (read: most) stores, yeah, those ones can fucking die for all I care :lol: I'm saying that stores will have to give people a reason to come in, or accept going obsolete :lol:

The rest of your points are valid, though :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
At shitty (read: most) stores, yeah, those ones can fucking die for all I care :lol: I'm saying that stores will have to give people a reason to come in, or accept going obsolete :lol:

The rest of your points are valid, though :lol:
That reason is going to have to be "way cheaper prices". The closest mall is about an hour round trip for me, call it 60 miles. I'm not driving that much, and taking that much time out of my day to save two bucks. Ten? Sure, that's a trip to the store and a burrito at Chipotle.

·
18,790 Posts
That reason is going to have to be "way cheaper prices". The closest mall is about an hour round trip for me, call it 60 miles. I'm not driving that much, and taking that much time out of my day to save two bucks. Ten? Sure, that's a trip to the store and a burrito at Chipotle.
Ah, but I'm not saying that they need everybody to come shop there instead of online. Just enough to stay comfortably afloat. They'll be the place to go when you're in the area, because they'll have something or know something that you can't get anywhere else. Specialize in rare products like Naren said. Yeah, you'll still get most of your games online, but the store won't have to go under, just change what they're about slightly.

I'm very strongly opposed to stifling technological development just to save jobs, partly because I'm against stifling technological development for any reason, but also because it pushes people to be creative, something machines can't do :lol:

I guess my argument is: if you let the machines win, you didn't deserve to win to begin with :lol:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Retailers can complain all they want, but if the developer and/or publisher want you to authenticate it through Steam, then it's not gonna be any different wherever you get it from. Saying Steam is killing PC games retail is bullshit. Maybe if they gave PC games more than 1 shelf in a store and had people work there who knew what a PC was, then they'd make a raking. Also, I agree with Chris, it's just SO much easier. Where else can I get a legal copy of Doom to play these days aswell?

They can try and ban Steam all they want in the UK, it'll just piss PC gamers off and probably make them boycott stores and buy online anyways.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The Internet is slowly replacing brick and mortar stores, and the stores are just gonna have to deal with it. History has done this a thousand times before, and will do it a thousand more. It's not like we're all riding our horses to work.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
The Internet is slowly replacing brick and mortar stores, and the stores are just gonna have to deal with it. History has done this a thousand times before, and will do it a thousand more. It's not like we're all riding our horses to work.
Thank you.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just can't believe it has come to a point where they would be threatened to be banned. I'm totally all about saving (the lack of) money (I have).

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
bingo. tons of businesses and industries have come and gone. you have to adapt or die. end of story. fuck'em

·
Registered
300 Posts
The thread title is pretty misleading. No one's threatening to ban Steam in the UK. It's just a few retailers threatening to not carry Steam games in their stores.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Steam is a great idea that sucks. I hate opening up TF2 for a lunchtime frag, only to find that it won't fucking let me play until it downloads some huge friggin' update. Other times, it won't connect at all. Other times, I lose all my special stuff. Weak.

But in concept, it kicks ass.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Retailers say Steam is "killing the PC market", threaten Steam ban | PC Gamer

I don't know how it is UK, but if it's anything like the US (at least in the Austin area), it seems that game stores will shelve the hell out of consoles while the PC section looks really really slim compared.

Or people are just lazy and never step outside their house unless they have to.
Its like that everywhere in the us... (and it pisses me off)

Game companies love consoles because it is much harder to pirate games on them and dev time is usually a whole lot shorter.

Its a catch 22 - the retailers say we don't sell enough pc games to carry them but you cant sell a game if you dont have it. They will gladly take your PC pre-orders tho.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts