Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
EMERRRRRRRY!
720 Posts
They're really nice for that price range. Definitely in PRS SE territory.
Ryan and I tried out the one they had in stock at the Charlotte GC and a/b'd it directly with a few SEs and it wasn't even close IMO. The frets were really nice but aside from that the guitar felt really cheap, which sucks because it has the contour like the US JPs do so I was honestly hoping to walk out with that one instead of an SE but the Allender crushed it. Ryan said the same thing, neck felt cheap as hell (more in-line with $1-200 Ibbys :lol:) and the trem is also much cheaper than the version they use on the US EBMM stuff. The trem on the SEs are also cheaper than the US PRS models but still feel pretty nice, the JP50 bridge was kinda meh.

I'd check one out in person before picking one up Chris, it looks nice but feels cheap. :(

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Ryan and I tried out the one they had in stock at the Charlotte GC and a/b'd it directly with a few SEs and it wasn't even close IMO. The frets were really nice but aside from that the guitar felt really cheap, which sucks because it has the contour like the US JPs do so I was honestly hoping to walk out with that one instead of an SE but the Allender crushed it. Ryan said the same thing, neck felt cheap as hell (more in-line with $1-200 Ibbys :lol:) and the trem is also much cheaper than the version they use on the US EBMM stuff. The trem on the SEs are also cheaper than the US PRS models but still feel pretty nice, the JP50 bridge was kinda meh.

I'd check one out in person before picking one up Chris, it looks nice but feels cheap. :(
They're MIC, right? Disappointing they went that route instead of doing MIK like PRS did. My two PRS SE's are really nice, and I am damn pleased having dropped less than $1200 for both of them.

·
EMERRRRRRRY!
720 Posts
They're MIC, right? Disappointing they went that route instead of doing MIK like PRS did. My two PRS SE's are really nice, and I am damn pleased having dropped less than $1200 for both of them.
I think you're right (but not positive as that was a week ago), that might explain the quality difference too. The frets/setup and all are checked at EBMM in SLO, CA upon arrival (just like SEs and Schecters are) but the feel just wasn't there. :( Like I said, I was really hoping they would be awesome as they have a few nice features such as locking tuners and nice frets but in the end it wasn't even a competition. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wirelessly posted (Metal Shop \m/: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just walked out of GC, and they had one. Matt is spot on, it sucks. It has a big Made In China stamp under the clearcoat on the back of the headstock, too. :noway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wirelessly posted (Metal Shop \m/: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'd also have an SE in the car on the way home with me if they had maple boards. :(

·
EMERRRRRRRY!
720 Posts
You need one of these, Chris:

PRS Guitars | SE Orianthi Model

I almost wish they would have had one of those at the store to check out too, dig the finish and the inlays on that one! :D Only things I'd change (to any SE really, although I'm liking the 81TW/89TW in the Allender) would be a new nut, locking tuners and some new pickups. :yesway: Might keep my eye out for one of those to pop up used, I had forgot about her sig model!

·
Would You Kindly?
487 Posts
I wish they did a 7 string version, would be good for people like me who can't afford a proper JP7. :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
That's disappointing that they're made in China and feel cheap. I thought for sure they'd be MIK like the OLPs they replaced, but i guess EBMM was looking for more profit margin, so they went to China. :(

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's disappointing that they're made in China and feel cheap. I thought for sure they'd be MIK like the OLPs they replaced, but i guess EBMM was looking for more profit margin, so they went to China. :(
I'm of the mindset that sometimes you can get a good MIC guitar - wood is wood, and just because something is MIC doesn't immediately make it shitty, even if it's more common. :\

I was hoping that this thing could be one of those "MIC but still a great base for upgrades" models, but not only does it feel cheap, the decision to stamp MIC under the clearcoat is just baffling to me.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
I'm of the mindset that sometimes you can get a good MIC guitar - wood is wood, and just because something is MIC doesn't immediately make it shitty, even if it's more common. :\

I was hoping that this thing could be one of those "MIC but still a great base for upgrades" models, but not only does it feel cheap, the decision to stamp MIC under the clearcoat is just baffling to me.
That ltd/strat i bought was MIC but it is really nice (I actually thought they were made in kore or indonesia). I was a bit surprised how decent it is tbh

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
no i just need her to come play my "guitar" all night long :jj: :lol:
Yeah, I'd hit it!
I almost wish they would have had one of those at the store to check out too, dig the finish and the inlays on that one! :D Only things I'd change (to any SE really, although I'm liking the 81TW/89TW in the Allender) would be a new nut, locking tuners and some new pickups. :yesway: Might keep my eye out for one of those to pop up used, I had forgot about her sig model!
The pickups in my korina are decent, but the Mushok's pickups definitely blow goats.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
I played a JP50 and the Axis model, and both felt cheap and sounded acoustically dead. Not even worth half the asking price.

I've perused the Ernie Ball forums and I think Sterling has very little business sense. And he sure spends more time on forums than I'd expect of someone running a business.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts