Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...ato_hes_more_demanding_than_roger_waters.html

Odd interview with guitarist Dave Kilminster as why he didn't play guitar on To The Bone. This could be just exclusive to the last album, since he's let Guthrie vibrato all over the 2 albums before it, but it's an odd thing to ask from a guitarist.

Then again, this is a guy who hates chorus pedals. But then again (again) as the guy who would throw away a guitarist's pedal and tell them 'If you want to go back to the '80s, go fucking back to the '80s.'" and then goes out and releases an 80s album does make him come off as rather disingenuous. :lol:

·
18,821 Posts
I love his music and he’s a huge inspiration for me, but I don’t think I’d ever want to meet the guy :lol: Especially post-Porcupine Tree he seems to have gotten even more opinionated and self-important. And as you said, hypocritical. Hating chorus pedals and implying they’re dated is rich from someone so obsessed with rotary speakers and melotrons :lol:

·
Read Only
62,441 Posts
I love his music and he's a huge inspiration for me, but I don't think I'd ever want to meet the guy :lol: Especially post-Porcupine Tree he seems to have gotten even more opinionated and self-important. And as you said, hypocritical. Hating chorus pedals and implying they're dated is rich from someone so obsessed with rotary speakers and melotrons :lol:
This. I dig Wilson's music, but he is a massively pretentious douchebag.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love his music and he's a huge inspiration for me, but I don't think I'd ever want to meet the guy :lol: Especially post-Porcupine Tree he seems to have gotten even more opinionated and self-important. And as you said, hypocritical. Hating chorus pedals and implying they're dated is rich from someone so obsessed with rotary speakers and melotrons :lol:
Oh without question. :lol: There was also a recent interview where he stated he's touring more often because he felt he wasn't popular enough. I love the guy but that's a remark of a tosser. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
15,059 Posts
Steven Wilson is such a fucking massive tool.

I like some Porcupine Tree songs here and there, and a couple of the albums are good listens, but the vast majority of his lyrics revolve around how the rest of the world is a bunch of shallow, mindless sheep and he is a deep philosopher genius.

I listen to the "Fear of a Blank Planet" record sometimes, but I don't actually consider it prog. The music is prog sure, but the lyrics are like, Steven Wilson shaming people who take prescription medications or play video games. That dude has his head so far up his own ass. The music is pretty progressive, but like 50%+ of all his underlying messages is heavily implying he's a genius that regular people can't understand because of their sheep like nature.

Basically Steven Wilson is a posterboy for what's wrong with prog. There are a lot of people I know who only use the term "prog" to indicate that their music is so much better than the simpler stuff, and they are so much more advanced. "Prog" to me is about doing your own thing, not consistently using it as a soap box to put other people down.

He's good musically but his attitude fucking sucks. None of the '70s guys he's trying to emulate were half as pretentious as he is.

Not to mention all the looking down on the term "metal", which is the music equivalent of douches like Terry Goodkind claiming they don't write "fantasy" but rather "stories about the human condition".

His self-aggrandizing, holier than thou attitude can suck it.

Besides, the whole "playing guitar barefoot" thing is so fucking stupid. I know some friends who do it just because Steven Wilson does it. Fuck that.

A good litmus test for how much of a tool someone is is seeing how many times they make sure to mention their music cannot be confined to a single genre. :lol: Steven Wilson is pretty much the codifier for said litmus test. Find me a Steven Wilson interview where he doesn't get angry at the thought of plebians daring to confine his music to a single genre.

·
Premium Member
32,642 Posts
Boring musician from boring Porcupine Tree says stupid things you say? :dgaf:

·
Premium Member
8,989 Posts
I listen to the "Fear of a Blank Planet" record sometimes, but I don't actually consider it prog. The music is prog sure, but the lyrics are like, Steven Wilson shaming people who take prescription medications or play video games. That dude has his head so far up his own ass.
There's a little more to it than that. :lol:

It's really about overstimulation leading to alienation and emotional emptiness. I thought it was a very cogent observation when it came out.

SW is definitely heavy on the pretentiousness, though.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
15,059 Posts
There's a little more to it than that. :lol:

It's really about overstimulation leading to alienation and emotional emptiness. I thought it was a very cogent observation when it came out.

SW is definitely heavy on the pretentiousness, though.
He makes some good points, but the problem with making societal critiques about the majority of people being mindless drones/sheep devoid of free will is that you have to do it without coming across like a "holier than thou" complete douche. Regular people have problems with that, but Steven Wilson doesn't even try. :lol:

He'll make some pointed critiques with merit, but it just comes across as him being insufferable. "The Sound of Muzak" is kind of bitingly clever until you consider who wrote it. When someone like Napalm Death does that it's awesome, but when Steven Wilson does it it's just eye rolling. a) Implying Prog is the opposite of Muzak is ridiculous, the entire genre of Punk only exists because Prog became so insufferably Muzak like that there specifically needed to be an anti-Prog b) There's some line about "anthems of rebellion written by millionaires twice your age" was hypocritical when it came out, but it super hypocritical now. Is a 12 minute self indulgent prog noodle fest about how everyone else is a sheep who cannot comprehend your intellect written by a millionaire twice your age necessarily better? That dude is like 50 now.

Also, whenever someone always makes a point to talk about how stupid and knuckle dragging the metal community is and how there music is definitely "not metal", because "metal" is too simplistic, restricted to stupid audiences,etc. it comes across as super ungrateful and entitled. Especially when a bunch of your fans are metalheads. I mean, there are a load of times I roll my eyes at the state of the metal community as a whole, but it's still the best musical community there is. It's not perfect, and sometimes not even particularly good, but it's still miles better than the radio hard rock/prog only/artsy indie rock communities.

When you look at someone like Rob Halford, who is always super gracious to his fans, rolls with kitschy nicknames like "Metal God" they give him, etc. and then compare it to someone like Steven Wilson, who usually mentions in interviews that he's not sure his fans are smart enough to truly understand what's going on on his records, musically or conceptually, it's not really a tough choice who to support.

I'm not super familiar with the entirety of Porcupine Tree's/Steven Wilson's work, but I'm pretty sure there is an identifiable point where he crossed over from "criticizing the superficiality of modern society" to "criticizing everyone who is not Steven Wilson".

·
Premium Member
33,895 Posts
He makes some good points, but the problem with making societal critiques about the majority of people being mindless drones/sheep devoid of free will is that you have to do it without coming across like a "holier than thou" complete douche. Regular people have problems with that, but Steven Wilson doesn't even try. :lol:
I mean, in for a dime, in for a dollar, amirite? :lol:

I love Porcupine Tree, I love his solo music, and I'll probably continue to preorder everything he releases until something actually DOES disappoint me, and that's saying something for a man who's covered the musical range he has. And I'm jealous of the insanely talented musicians he gets to work with, because at the end of the day he's got the cred where if you're a Guthrie Govan or a Marco Minnemann, if you get that call, you're going to at least hear him out and check your calendar.

But, at the same time, is he pretentious? No doubt. :lol: I still remembered the video outtakes from the expanded edition of Deadwing - a spectacular album - where it opens with him knocking on the studio door and announcing himself as "International rockstar...?" and you get the sense that he probably was only half joking. He hasn't exactly got more down to earth since then. :lol:

I saw an interview with him where he said he wasn't interested in getting married and having a family because he didn't want it to get in the way of his music, and honestly, I always kind of assumed he was gay. :lol: Which would make it a double tragedy that he's done a couple albums with Ninet Tayeb. :lol:

At the same time, let's being honest, being pretentious doesn't really rank compared to, say, hiring a contract killer to take out your wife, and holy shit do I love his music. :metal:

EDIT - though, come to think of it, I've always found his vibrato kinda underwhelming.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
15,059 Posts
I mean, in for a dime, in for a dollar, amirite? :lol:

I love Porcupine Tree, I love his solo music, and I'll probably continue to preorder everything he releases until something actually DOES disappoint me, and that's saying something for a man who's covered the musical range he has. And I'm jealous of the insanely talented musicians he gets to work with, because at the end of the day he's got the cred where if you're a Guthrie Govan or a Marco Minnemann, if you get that call, you're going to at least hear him out and check your calendar.

But, at the same time, is he pretentious? No doubt. :lol: I still remembered the video outtakes from the expanded edition of Deadwing - a spectacular album - where it opens with him knocking on the studio door and announcing himself as "International rockstar...?" and you get the sense that he probably was only half joking. He hasn't exactly got more down to earth since then. :lol:

I saw an interview with him where he said he wasn't interested in getting married and having a family because he didn't want it to get in the way of his music, and honestly, I always kind of assumed he was gay. :lol: Which would make it a double tragedy that he's done a couple albums with Ninet Tayeb. :lol:

At the same time, let's being honest, being pretentious doesn't really rank compared to, say, hiring a contract killer to take out your wife, and holy shit do I love his music. :metal:

EDIT - though, come to think of it, I've always found his vibrato kinda underwhelming.
So we've arrived at the conclusion of, "Steven Wilson has is head up his own ass, but it's really progressive in there"?

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
But if Steven Wilson had his head up his ass and started singing, the sound waves would travel through his butt and back through is mouth, and then back into his butt. The subtle delay produced by this would sound somewhat chorus-like, and we all know how much Famous Rockstar Steven Wilson hates chorus. Therefore Steven Wilson cannot have his head up his ass. Checkmate

·
Read Only
62,441 Posts
But if Steven Wilson had his head up his ass and started singing, the sound waves would travel through his butt and back through is mouth, and then back into his butt. The subtle delay produced by this would sound somewhat chorus-like, and we all know how much Famous Rockstar Steven Wilson hates chorus. Therefore Steven Wilson cannot have his head up his ass. Checkmate
He'd describe it more like a Hammond with a Leslie and tell you that you were wrong to question his Assbrato.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts