Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Dude, points for referencing the country supergroup of doom. :yesway:

·
Habitual Linestepper
170 Posts
That fucking guitar has the most instantly recognizable tones of any instrument ever recorded.
I love Willie, and I'm gonna be sad as hell when he goes.

Jump to 4:20 (huh) to hear that sweet toan.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
You know, i've never really listened to much Willie Nelson, but in reading that article, i found myself going to YouTube and looking up various pieces, like Nuages and Stardust… he's one hell of a guitarist, with a totally unique voice (both vocal and guitar). Much respect.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know, i've never really listened to much Willie Nelson, but in reading that article, i found myself going to YouTube and looking up various pieces, like Nuages and Stardust… he's one hell of a guitarist, with a totally unique voice (both vocal and guitar). Much respect.
I first got introduced to him when my old man taught me the chords to Blues Eyes Crying in the Rain as a kid, and then sang and played the solo. My old man never played solos, so my eyes just popped out of my head.

Willie's playing has always been bold, unique, and utterly fearless. I don't go out of my way to listen to him, but whenever I come across his music, I always have to stop and listen. There is such soul in his playing.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Willie's playing has always been bold, unique, and utterly fearless. I don't go out of my way to listen to him, but whenever I come across his music, I always have to stop and listen. There is such soul in his playing.
Yeah, he's definitely more like a jazz player in that regard. I wonder if his career would have taken a different track had he not started out in Nashville.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Considering his unique blend of Texas swing, jazz, blues, and country had a massive impact on musicians who went on to buck the boring Nashville establishment, I'm glad he started out there. For some odd reason, he really wanted to be a singer first, so it really does seem that buying that Martin is what pushed him to become more of a guitarist. His story is a really interesting one.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I really know nothing about Willie's guitar playing - I'll have to do some listening. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

He's still great live, just unbelievably consistent for a guy who's been at it for six plus decades.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.