Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Boogadee Oogadee
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what does it mean when i get a faint dying harmonic ringing squeel after quickly turning my amp off ("quick" meaning the time between switching to stand-by and following with the power switch is immediate)? I got this sound even with no guitar chord plugged into the amp's input. it sounds like a high-e string is ringing, then it faints away. the duration of the sound is no more than half a second.

i've never heard this before, because normally, i flip to stand by, put my guitar down, then flip the amp off. Today is the first time i've ever gone straight from stand-by to the power switch....

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
You might need to change your heads, or just tune them down a bit so you get out of Lars Ulrich St. Anger territory.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I've actually heard amps do this many times over the years. I've never worried about it, personally.

As to the actual cause of said noise... I dunno. I read somewhere about power supply capacitors discharging, which makes sense, I suppose. "WHHHEeeeeewww..." As they release their stored energy.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
I've actually heard amps do this many times over the years. I've never worried about it, personally.

As to the actual cause of said noise... I dunno. I read somewhere about power supply capacitors discharging, which makes sense, I suppose. "WHHHEeeeeewww..." As they release their stored energy.
Yeah. My bass amp makes some funny noises when I shut it off. :shrug:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I think Boober is right. It's the dying breath of your capacitors. There's probably no need to worry.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
It could be your caps, or it could be your phase inverter tube going bad, IIRC - I know one of the preamp tubes can cause this. Just keep that in mind - you may start hearing it when you're playing, too, which means it's probably time to change preamp tubes. :yesway:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts