Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I purchased a BC Rich 7 string v, and I purchased strap locks for it, I purchased the Dunlop ones. When installing the screw at the back of the guitar i noticed that it would only go about 3/4 of the way in. I tried to use force, but i almost ended up stripping the screw. I know the easy way around this would be to make a new screw hole for this screw somewhere else, but I also had the same issue w/ a dean i purchased years ago. I've also never had this problem with these 2 guitars. The holes are behind the neck on both guitars, but on my old gibson v was a simple install. Any suggestions other than moving the screw hole? Even so, could i get a shorter screw? Maybe use glue in the hole? I really don't want to make a new hole in the guitar.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

You definitely do NOT want to keep going, since you run the risk of popping through the fretboard from underneath. Go to a hardware store and source a smaller screw, unless the stock strap button screw fits through the locking button.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made sure to stop. I just was wondering if i was the only one to experience this, or if someone had work arounds.

·
Parental Advisory
288 Posts
The screws with Dunlop straplocks are deliberately oversize to ensure that they're secure in the guitar. Every set I've put in I've had to drill the hole slightly longer beforehand to get them to fit (it is mentioned in the instructions to do so).

With ones where the pin is on the underside of the neck joint, however, I'd recommend finding a slightly shorter screw the same width and using that instead - though the "traditional" design Dunlop's I fitted to my Dean V worked fine, I would want to make sure that it doesn't come up through the underneath of the fretboard as Noodles mentioned.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just never had issues w/ any other guitars I have, except these 2. My gibson, my dean, and a few others had no issues w/ the hole in the same spot. I'm just wondering what the difference is, other than the obvious thickness of the guitar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have several Gibson SGs and they have the same problem with the hole in the back near the neck. Simply put, the screw is too long.

Take the old screw out and measure it. Snip the Dunlop screw to be the same length hanging out of its cup. I use a pair of wire cutter to do this and am 5 for 5 in successful cuts.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Will the screws from the original strap buttons fit in the Dunlop buttons? I've done that a couple times - reused the old screws. You know they fit already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts