Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What constitutes a "metal guitar"? The reason I ask, is I have been looking at various replacements for a Strat HSS... you know Jackson, ESP etc.

I'm was sort of close to pulling the trigger on an ESP M-ii with EMGs to replace my HSS Strat and then I thought what makes a guitar a "metal" guitar and could I do something to my MIA Standard HSS Strat?

Any thoughts on if I can turn a trusted old Standard Strat into a shredding machine?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Hi,

What constitutes a "metal guitar"? The reason I ask, is I have been looking at various replacements for a Strat HSS... you know Jackson, ESP etc.

I'm was sort of close to pulling the trigger on an ESP M-ii with EMGs to replace my HSS Strat and then I thought what makes a guitar a "metal" guitar and could I do something to my MIA Standard HSS Strat?

Any thoughts on if I can turn a trusted old Standard Strat into a shredding machine?
What kind of metal? For more "classic" types Iron Maiden and Helloween come to mind.

For more death metal theres obituary, and supposedly karl sanders of nile (fender strat with a jackson neck) though there are no pictures I can find.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
No reason you can't make a strat with a bridge humbucker work for that - "metal" depends more on the dude holding it than it does the guitar.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No reason you can't make a strat with a bridge humbucker work for that - "metal" depends more on the dude holding it than it does the guitar.
Yeah man I get the player is key.... is there anything I need to consider changing on the Strat? May be a 'hot' humbucker?

Also, any well know shredders playing a Strat?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
They're fine for even really really heavy shit, like technical death metal. Looks like i gotta post a song from none so vile again:

This album was recorded with a Fat Strat HSS.

Live shot:

Also, if you're into Children of Bodom type shit, check out the band Wintersun. Their guitarist/vocalist uses a telecaster for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.