Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw Ed redid his Mexi Strat with Fender Noiseless pups, so I'm considering those. However I'd like to know which set (single coils only) would get me a Gilmour-ish tone approximation.

The incoming strat is whatever the MIM's are usually made of, which I think is Poplar, and the neck is all maple (as will be its Warmoth replacement down the road).

I'm thinking either the Fenders, EMG SA/SA-X's, or Dimarzio Area series.

Thoughts?

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
So I saw Ed redid his Mexi Strat with Fender Noiseless pups, so I'm considering those. However I'd like to know which set (single coils only) would get me a Gilmour-ish tone approximation.

The incoming strat is whatever the MIM's are usually made of, which I think is Poplar, and the neck is all maple (as will be its Warmoth replacement down the road).

I'm thinking either the Fenders, EMG SA/SA-X's, or Dimarzio Area series.

Thoughts?
I believe that the MIM Strats are alder. :scratch:

I bought a set of Bare Knuckle Apaches very recently, Jeff. The only problem is that I haven't yet dropped my Strat off at guitarguitar to have them fitted, so I can't offer my opinion on them quite yet. :) I'll let everyone know what I think post-installation.

I considered a set of Areas before I bought the Apaches, but I decided against it; I can deal with hum if it allows me to have 'that' single-coil tone.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
EMG DG20 set. 3 SAs, and the EXC and some other control. Super versatile and sounds *amazing.* Also conveniently prewired on a Strat guard.

Body on those Strats is alder on the solid finishes, and swamp ash occasionally on the trans finishes, depending on year.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe that the MIM Strats are alder. :scratch:

I bought a set of Bare Knuckle Apaches very recently, Jeff. The only problem is that I haven't yet dropped my Strat off at guitarguitar to have them fitted, so I can't offer my opinion on them quite yet. :) I'll let everyone know what I think post-installation.

I considered a set of Areas before I bought the Apaches, but I decided against it; I can deal with hum if it allows me to have 'that' single-coil tone.
EMG DG20 set. 3 SAs, and the EXC and some other control. Super versatile and sounds *amazing.* Also conveniently prewired on a Strat guard.

Body on those Strats is alder on the solid finishes, and swamp ash occasionally on the trans finishes, depending on year.
Good info! CIAM, let me know what you think of them when you get them wired. That DG20 kit's looking nice too, especially appropriate if it's David's kit.

Good to know about the wood too. I don't know why I thought they were poplar.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shit, I just thought of something. This guitar is going to also get a Graphtech Ghost MIDI system later this year. I wonder if there's just too much shit stuffed in the control cavities, between teh EMG stuff and the Ghost stuff.

Perhaps passives may be a better idea. Damn, I dunno. I'll have to see how much room is in there when it comes in next week, then compare it to the board that's already in my RG with the Ghost stuff.

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
Most of my favorite Gilmour tones were done with the black strat.
Bridge-ssl-5
Mid CS69
Neck Fat 50's

I put an ssl5 in my Strat for this reason and it is spot on.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Bridge-ssl-5
Mid CS69
Neck Fat 50's

This. It's what's in the man's real Black Strat. How can you go wrong?

SA's are great, but they only used those live in the 80's to fight off all the damn interference from the crazy lights everywhere. Nothing wrong with 'em, but the attack is too hard for the proper vintage sound.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I love the SA "glassy" sound, and the "humbucker shape" knob in the DG set is really useful. The Black Strat sound is great too, definitely. Two different flavors.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
the DG kit frankly kicks all kinds of ass all over town. Im not a huge EMG guy, but those are a very obvious exception in my mind. What a fucking kick ass setup.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I would have gone w/the Gilmour setup if not for the fact that you have to pull the pickguard to change the battery. I played a set of them though, and they do sound fantastic (albeit this was in a MIA).

I like the Laces in my MIM, I just wish they were a bit hotter.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Bridge-ssl-5
Mid CS69
Neck Fat 50's

If I was going for Gilmour's sound this is what I would get.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would have gone w/the Gilmour setup if not for the fact that you have to pull the pickguard to change the battery. I played a set of them though, and they do sound fantastic (albeit this was in a MIA).

I like the Laces in my MIM, I just wish they were a bit hotter.
I'm just thinking actives might not work, because of the extra room that my MIM is going to require for the Ghost Hexpander board for guitar synth stuff.

If I was going for Gilmour's sound this is what I would get.
I know the SSL 5 is an SD, are the other two as well?

EDIT

NVM, I see the other two are Fenders.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
The other two are Fender pickups.

·
18,790 Posts
I'm just thinking actives might not work, because of the extra room that my MIM is going to require for the Ghost Hexpander board for guitar synth stuff.
Won't you have to do some routing to add the 13-pin out for the Hexpander anyways? Might as well route a spot under the pickguard for the extra electronics while you're at it, and hell, maybe a battery box in the back. :shrug:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Also, I'd really consider doing 18 volts on them as well, so you're going to need room for an extra battery.

I know a lot of people don't buy into the 18 V thing, but on absolutely every guitar I've done them with and A/B'd against, it makes a remarkable difference.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Won't you have to do some routing to add the 13-pin out for the Hexpander anyways? Might as well route a spot under the pickguard for the extra electronics while you're at it, and hell, maybe a battery box in the back. :shrug:
Not likely. I didn't have to with the RG421.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
$200 for some Strat bodies on Warmoth's "Screaming Deals" section with battery boxes in the back!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
$200 for some Strat bodies on Warmoth's "Screaming Deals" section with battery boxes in the back!
The whole idea with this is to first do the pickups, then the Ghost system, then the neck. The body is way, way, way down the line, if ever.

I hate shopping for pickups. It's such a fucking toss up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts