Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody here tried these? They look like a viable option instead of going Carvin for semi customs. The pricing is super reasonable as well. I was quoted around $2100 for a very loaded guitar with gaudy inlay work. I've read a lot of good reviews but I was wondering if anybody has had a negative experience with them or noticed something terribly wrong that my n00b eyes wouldn't notice :lol:

I don't want to end up ordering something I'd regret!

Jim also seems like a really nice guy and genuinely interested in building a quality product as well as taking care of his customers. He's been very fast to respond.

Here's their site:

Seven String Guitars, 7 Strings, 7 String Guitars, Custom 7 Strings, Seven String, 7 String Electric

YouTube - NAMM 2010 - Strictly 7 Guitars

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Soop is the only person on here that actually owns one.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Just to throw my :2cents: in, I wouldn't order a figured top from him, because unless he's changed things recently, he can't do drop top and just sands through the top for the forearm contour.
I'm not really a fan of the headstock, but from what I've read they seem like solid guitars.

·
abides
851 Posts
I've heard some really negative things about the guitars themselves from people whose opinion I trust entirely. They've all said, however, that Jim is a really sweet guy who clearly loves what he's doing.
I suggest checking out Stinnett Guitars for some exceptionally well-priced customs. Two of my discerning friends own Stinnetts and swear by them.

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
I have one coming in soon. While I can't say anything about the guitars themselves, as I haven't played one yet. I have been extremely happy with the service and communication. Its coming up on the deadline and everything is on time.

He might not be able to do a drop top yet, but is able to put on a thick enough top that when the contour is added the top wood stays. He has also been very cool and thrown in some upgrades for me just because he has some extra stuff around. I got a free quilted top. :)

I'll get to be a judge here soon on the quality. I have seen a few up for sale over on SS. So it makes me wonder if the quality is what I'm expecting it to be or if the people are just GASing for some other stuff too hard. I'll write up a nice review when I get it in.

Soops should be able to let you know the quality. He seemed to love the proto 8 he had but didn't seem to dig the extra string.

If the quality is up to par with Jim's communication, I will have no problem ordering a 2nd.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input guys.

I emailed Jim again today (On Easter Sunday no less) and he replied within a few hours. The fuck? :lol:

Any idea when yours will be here? I already talked to Jim and told him I'm going to be a few months as I prefer paying in one payment rather than a bunch of little ones because that's just extra hassle for us both so I have no problem waiting, and if you're going to be like a month there's no harm in waiting to see what you think.

I'll track Soop down too.

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

It'll probably be sometime in May. It is about to go into the finish stage (if it hasn't already).

He is great at getting back with people fast. His emails are sent straight to his Blackberry. Really the only time it takes him longer is when he is in the shop.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I haven't been impressed with his design work at all on a visual level, but I haven't played one so I can't judge quality.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

It'll probably be sometime in May. It is about to go into the finish stage (if it hasn't already).

He is great at getting back with people fast. His emails are sent straight to his Blackberry. Really the only time it takes him longer is when he is in the shop.
I guess I'll wait then, thanks.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
When I got a quote from jim a few weeks ago he said he could do a drop top. You just need to specify on the order and I'm sure it's an added charge. His quotes are quite reasonable and his stuff looks good.

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts

I'm curious as to what Nolly said earlier. Could you go into more detail on the negative aspects, Nolly?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Has anybody here tried these? They look like a viable option instead of going Carvin for semi customs. The pricing is super reasonable as well. I was quoted around $2100 for a very loaded guitar with gaudy inlay work.
Thats still like 5-700$ more than carvin for similar options though, isnt it?

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I got BKP's in my quote. Also shipping is factored in and a few other factors.

·
abides
851 Posts

I'm curious as to what Nolly said earlier. Could you go into more detail on the negative aspects, Nolly?
Honestly, I'm wary of passing on second-hand information in any specific detail. PM me if you really want to know, but it sounds you'll be able to judge for yourself in just a few weeks :)

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I got BKP's in my quote. Also shipping is factored in and a few other factors.
Ah, right, gotta djent. Forgot about that.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Out of curiosity, why go with him? I don't see anything really attractive, exceptional, or unique about his designs. Stinnett looks much nicer in that price range, as does Carvin.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts