Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont worry, this isnt a catastrophically n00b 'how does I make teh strings not floppy in teh drop Z?', I'm just trying to see if theres anything out there I havent tried that I might experiment with

Anyone know of a brand that makes 6 string sets in 12/13 - 56 or so thats reasonably well ballanced that doesnt have a wound 3rd? Tuning is drop B the vast majority of the time, C# standard if not.

The recent history
Daddarios - I used to get individual strings of diaddarios because they were the only strings that the supplier I use (strings direct) sold individually. Dont like the tone very much, its a bit clangy, just got the tensions I wanted basically.

Newtone - great, custom strings, get whatever I want, last for ages, sound good, do a custom thick core varient on any wound string, but the waiting times are long and inconsistent.

DR - I'm using a DR tite set now with the wound 3rd replaced with a diadarrio plain. The diadarrio doesnt last as long as the DRs and while I like most of the sound of the DRs, they're a bit dull in the top end. Basically alright, but I'd like to just buy one pack and have done with it, not suplement with singles

I've started to hope that my dim and distant memory of ernie balls being tinny sounding, breaking a lot and corroding very fast isnt too accurate and ordered some 'not even slinky's (12 or 13 to 56), and some Kerly Sinister strings, 12-56, which get good reports.

Is there anything else out there that I could look at? Again, the requisites are: 12/13-56 (ish, doesnt have to be exactly 56, but must be up there, high 50s to 60) that doesnt have a wound 3rd?

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason.

They're also in the US, I'm in the UK, and they charge $40 shipping for any size order internationally (I just went and had a look).

Such a good selection though.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
DR tite fits I presume? Try the Hi Beams, they are cool too.

Dunlop strings are pretty good too. The only string brands I like are DR/Dunlop/D'addario. I've tried most of the others and didn't like them as much.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Welcome to La Bella Strings!

I've heard a lot of good stuff about these strings. I think they're willing to do some custom sets as well.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and sources fellas, I've made a note

In theory the ernie balls and kerlys arrive today.

If the delivery service can handle an inch of snow, which they often cant :lol:

Anyway, I think a test of one guitar with my current DRs, one with kerlys and one with EBs is in order. Disqualification if I dont like the tone or tension and then we'll see which lasts better!

If niether beat my DRs, I'll look at the other suggestions. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the Kerly Sinisters arrived, and preliminary testing is very promising.

They arent tonally night and day with the DRs; a little tighter sounding, a little punchier, a little smoother, but those benefits, plus I just need to order one overly expensive pack of strings, not one overly expensive pack and another string to replace one of the strings in it mean I'm a happy bunny for now :)

Cheers fellas; if they start breaking all the time or I decide they suck for whatever reason, I'll be looking into all the recommendations.

·
Registered
322 Posts
DR just came out with some new strings that have the 12-56 gauge. Supposedly they are made for low tunings. The store i work at got a promo pack probably 2 months ago and i still haven't gotten a chance to try them(11-54 for drop C). The guy i play with that plays bass tried a bass version and said he liked em, he usually uses the DR hi-beams. If your still looking you could give em a try they are the DDT strings. They have a really retarded looking spider on the front of the pack.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I've got a set of "Not Even Slinky's" if you want them, just PM me your address and they're yours.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts