Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Im getting back into the Metal guitar scene Id like to hear some opinions from fellow Metals Heads on what kind of strings they are using.

I think the nickel wound sound the best but thats just me. I just use standard tuning so Ernie Ball Super Slinky aer my go to strings.

My tuning - Standard

Strings - Ernie Ball Super Slinky 42- 09

Lets hear your opinions
:metal:

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I'd use nothing but D'addario XL's if they made every gauge I used.

9 - 46 standard, 10 - 48 half-step standard, 10 - 52 drop C, 11 - 56 drop A# on a 27.7'' baritone, and the 9 - 46 set + a 64 for a 7-string baritone in G#.

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
I use D'addario XLs too. For my band that plays in Eb, I play .42-.09, and for my band that plays in C, I play .48-.10.5. I like my strings fairly loose.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nickel ahead but I hear guys swearing by ALL STEEL / Cobalt but from comparisons all steel sounds too twangy

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
ive used ernie ball for 13 years but for some reason the g string becomes really dirty, close to rust after 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
ive used ernie ball for 13 years but for some reason the g string becomes really dirty, close to rust after 2 weeks.
Started using EB Super Slinky because I like the feel and to save a bit on Elixirs and NYXLs. Prefer them slightly to D'addario and they seem to last a bit longer as well. Havent noticed the rusting of the G string... but maybe because being a house player I most certain dont sweat half as you performing guys.

·
Banned
835 Posts
For 7 string, D'Addario 9-54 set, nothing else makes sense to me.

For 6 string, 10-46 or 11-49 set for E and D standard, respectively. Whatever the reason, I prefer more tension on 6-string. Either Daddario NYXL or Dunlop Superbrights, which sound and feel almost identical, IMO. Consistent tone, and almost no stretching needed.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
D'Addario 9s for the last 25 years. I've considered trying other brands, but don't want to fix what ain't broke...

·
Parental Advisory
288 Posts
Dunlop Heavy Core on everything. 24.75" scale length guitars, 10-48s in Standard and Eb, 11-50s for D Standard and C#. 12-54 for C Standard, but I'm probably going to swap for the lowest 6 from their 7 string pack when I change them - I find the 3rd string doesn't have enough resistance.

I've tried most of the brands- Ernie Ball and Rotosound have too rough a texture, DR feel and sound great but don't last long enough and don't intonate consistently from pack to pack, D'addario were just underwhelming.
The only issue I've had with Dunlop is sometimes the plain strings were already tarnished in places before I took them out of the packet - I just put that down to them not being stored correctly, since I was buying them cheap off ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I've mostly used 10-46 Nanowebs on most guitars and NYXL's on my KxK which has SS frets. Although lately I've been going back to 9's.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
D'addario

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I just want to take this opportunity to repeat my expressed hatred for hybrid sets. That is all.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts