Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dedicated Chiller
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys :)

Looking for some nice headphones that I can use when recording (guitars, vocals, not drums, etc), when mixing (not the main purpose of them but if they are good enough for that too then it's great :yesway:) and when just listening to music (when my brother is asleep and so on).

I have looked at some Audio-Technica headphones. I was hoping I could get a pair under like 170-200€. As I said mainly for recording, so they need to be rather closed (not like drummers headphones though). I'd rather pick a pair that isn't very clumsy and cumbersome, especially since I want to have them as just normal headphones too, that I can bring with me when travelling and so on. Nice sound is mandatory of course :lol:

Any ideas? Other brands than AT works too :)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I've had great luck with Skullcandy earbuds over the years. They're cheap, sound pretty good, ad are well sealed enough that I've used them to track acoustic guitars with great success in the past. My suggestion would be to forget all in one, grab a decent pair of affordable earbuds, and then a good pair of reference grade 'phones for recording.

·
Dedicated Chiller
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard about them too. Haven't given them much thought though...

So if I do as you suggest and a pair of listening-phones and a pair of studio-phones, what would you recommend studio-phone-wise? :)

Btw I'll be using them when I record loud amps and vocals and so on, so no bleeding despite rather high volume levels :nono:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I was gonna come in and suggest AT's. ATH-M50's to be precisely. They're awesome.
I actually have a set of M40s myself. They're not bad - sound great, but in the 5-7 years I've owned them one of the ears has started cutting out intermittently.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you're looking at buds then the Hifiman RE0s are pretty good, not expensive, nice clinical sound. The bass goes deep but isn't particularly loud, I hear it gets better if you use a cheap headphone amp. They block a fair amount of outside noise but nothing spectacular. They do have a tendency to fall apart after about 6 months though, I'm on my 3rd pair after 12 months but YMMV.

As for over ear, I've got a mate who is doing a uni course on music production who was raving about Beyerdynamic DT100s though I don't have any experience with them. I've got another friend on a different production course who had some more budget Sennheisers, could've been the HD205s, from the 10 minutes I heard through those they sounded nice and detailed, I'm guessing that the higher end ones are gonna sound much better. Although I'm not sure about bleed through either of those.

Your best bet would definitely be to try them out in person though, some things sound good to some people but crap to others.

·
I don't like it.
11,070 Posts
My favorites so far have been my Ultimate Ears Super.Fi's, they're usually under $100 now. They were before Logitech bought out Ultimate Ears, I have no idea how the newer ones are.

·
Dedicated Chiller
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Regarding ATH-M50: I think those are exactly the ones the store clerk handed me when I listed him my "demands" :p They were awesome, but as all the other headphones they had were shitty as fudge (some brand whose name I don't want to utter) I had nothing to compare with. -.-

But if you think those are the best, and there's no objection then I'll go for those ^^ They would also check all the three boxes on my "wish list" :) (if one is to believe what the AT homepage says about their mixing capabilities :p )

Regarding the Beyerdynamics: I've read about them and people speak very highly of them. Haven't had the chance to try them out, but if I can find them in a store then I surly will :)

Regarding Sennheisers: No experience and nothing interesting has popped up when I searched the net

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sennheiser HD-280 pro. Closed, decent sound isolation. Excellent for tracking, sound great for casual listening, good enough for rough mixing too. Also, super durable

·
Dedicated Chiller
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sennheiser HD-280 pro. Closed, decent sound isolation. Excellent for tracking, sound great for casual listening, good enough for rough mixing too. Also, super durable
Checking them out. :) Do you think they will bleed e.g. when tracking vox or guitar, if I have the playback rather loud?

I mix using my Bose Quiet Comfort 15 for everything today...
I just love them so much. Also nice to be able to mix even quieter than with the usual cans
I didn't know that Bose made headphones :p Can they handle both recording, mixing and listening?

Btw vart köper man sådana? Pris? :)

·
MAMMALHAMMER
520 Posts
The Audio Technica ATH M50s can't be beaten. They are the best closed back headphones on the market and they just so happen to have a fair price tag on them. They are the best deal in audio equipment out there.

They have a frequency response that reaches all the way down farther than you can hear and it stays strong all the way through the range. That is something that other headphones cannot pull off. I use the M50s back and forth with my monitors instead of adding a sub to my monitoring set up.

They use neo magnets which give them high output with any signal, you can plug them into an ipod or laptop and have more than enough volume. This makes them pull double duty for me. I use them for everything.

They have a 3.5mm connector built in which makes them light for for plugging into laptops and portable players, the 1/4 adapter screws on and is very solid.

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Zeetwig said:
metalheadpunk said:
Checking them out. :) Do you think they will bleed e.g. when tracking vox or guitar, if I have the playback rather loud?

Ola Englund said:
I mix using my Bose Quiet Comfort 15 for everything today...
I just love them so much. Also nice to be able to mix even quieter than with the usual cans
I didn't know that Bose made headphones :p Can they handle both recording, mixing and listening?

Btw vart köper man sådana? Pris? :)
Nope, they contain bleed pretty good in my experience. They clamp nicely to your head. After a few years it's not as tight but still very secure and closed.

·
Dedicated Chiller
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Audio Technica ATH M50s can't be beaten. They are the best closed back headphones on the market and they just so happen to have a fair price tag on them. They are the best deal in audio equipment out there.

They have a frequency response that reaches all the way down farther than you can hear and it stays strong all the way through the range. That is something that other headphones cannot pull off. I use the M50s back and forth with my monitors instead of adding a sub to my monitoring set up.

They use neo magnets which give them high output with any signal, you can plug them into an ipod or laptop and have more than enough volume. This makes them pull double duty for me. I use them for everything.

They have a 3.5mm connector built in which makes them light for for plugging into laptops and portable players, the 1/4 adapter screws on and is very solid.
:yesway: nuff said :lol: (they really are awesome! tried them out and they completely walloped everything :flex:(but as I said I compared to tin-cans made by shit))

Nope, they contain bleed pretty good in my experience. They clamp nicely to your head. After a few years it's not as tight but still very secure and closed.
Nice! :) I'll try to try them out in a store :)

·
Dedicated Chiller
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll chime back in if I have any more questions after trying some more headphones out. :) Thanks for the replies guys ^^:yesway:

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts

+2

I've been using nothing but the m20's for about 5-6 years now, so i can only imagine how good the m50s are. i've got 3 pair by my gear, and keep another pair at work. the m50's are my next recording/home use purchase

1 - 18 of 18 Posts