1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Wow, check out that audience. They look thrilled. At 2:56, the guy in the red, 4th from right, decided to suck his thumb for a little while. The girl in the green on the far right, meanwhile, was snoozing until a text message woke her up.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Wow, check out that audience. They look thrilled. At 2:56, the guy in the red, 4th from right, decided to suck his thumb for a little while. The girl in the green on the far right, meanwhile, was snoozing until a text message woke her up.
Attentive listening is not a particularly raucous activity.

That was little too "piano bar-esque" for me until about 2:30, when it suddenly becomes ridiculously amazing. Wish I could do that!

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Jesus, that's great. If he opened with that, imagine what the impact of the fast playing must have had!

DR, do you know Gonzalo Rubalcaba? He plays some good versions of this. Gonzalo's a monster on the piano, and he demonstrates some of it here:

I'm not a huge fan of his as he does a lot of freetime playing in his runs. They're metronomically precise, but often they're just fast parts on top of the song and bear no rhythmic relation to it. But when people are as fast and expressive as he is, it's hard not to admire it.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I do know Gonzalo, mainly due to the stuff he's done with Pat Martino, like the wonderful 'Think Tank' album, although I'm not too familiar with his solo stuff. I'll check out that vid later tonight!:)

·
Smokestack Lightning
218 Posts
I went back and played this tune last night, probably after watching this video. I ended up coming up with a cool chord melody for it :yesway: Those changes are such a bitch to play over though :lol:

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went back and played this tune last night, probably after watching this video. I ended up coming up with a cool chord melody for it :yesway: Those changes are such a bitch to play over though :lol:
Agreed.:lol: Have you checked out Corey Christiansen's book on it ('Coltrane Changes For Guitar'), as there are lots of cool chord voicings and lead ideas for it in there?

·
Smokestack Lightning
218 Posts
Agreed.:lol: Have you checked out Corey Christiansen's book on it ('Coltrane Changes For Guitar'), as there are lots of cool chord voicings and lead ideas for it in there?
I haven't, I'll check it out if I get the chance. I want to try to pick up the Omnibook at some point and learn some Parker lines. I've heard that that does wonders for your playing. I'd like to try to get into bebop and work on my jazz chops this summer before going back to school.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
That was little too "piano bar-esque" for me until about 2:30, when it suddenly becomes ridiculously amazing. Wish I could do that!
I don't think I have enough fingers to come close to that. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts