Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got BIAS Amp Pro, which I like a lot. I've also got BIAS FX Pro, which I do NOT like a lot. :rofl: The effects, IMO, are pretty weak. I also have GR5 Pro, which was fine for it's day, but also is kinda meh.

Are there any "effects rack" AU's/VST's that have your standard modulation/delay/reverb type stuff, that's actually really good?

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Try this piece of begware called Ambiance, it's intuitive and sounds great.
Sorry, but that plugin fucking blows. I disliked it when I used it like 8 years ago (or so) and I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago to try it again after all the years, and it still sounded reaaaallly bad. Like, the reverb often flutters in a very unpleasant way.

I'm using the Cubase stock reverb every day, and it's much better in my opinion

But I'm open for counterproof. Post a soundclip using Ambience that sounds good and I might take a look:cool:

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts
What are you specifically looking for?

If you're not stuck into it having to be "rack format" this is what I would suggest checking out:

Delay: Boz Digital Imperial (No menu diving/all knobs, has reverb/modulation/chorus/pitch shifters/and more)
Reverb: Vahalla DSP (Best bang for your buck anything in the VST market, stands up to any reverb ever)

Presonus Studio one's Amp modeler isn't the best but you can bypass the amp/impulse and just use the effects. I use the pedals a ton for mixing:

Soundtoys (were a lot of the original Eventide engineers went to) have a plug-in called "Effect Rack" that hosts all their plug-ins inside of it. I personally rarely used them in the "rack" since the GUI takes up my entire screen :lol::

UAD if you can afford the hardware+software philosophy they have. In their monitoring software you can create a rack like this:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I think the motivation for high end companies (like Fractal or Strymon for example) to make something like this is low, because they know everyone will just pirate it. So you're stuck with meh stuff like Bias, shitty freeware, or having to go outboard for it.

:salute:

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts
I think the motivation for high end companies (like Fractal or Strymon for example) to make something like this is low, because they know everyone will just pirate it. So you're stuck with meh stuff like Bias, shitty freeware, or having to go outboard for it.
Yup. It's why Eventide is focusing on their H9 pedals instead of plug-ins, and why UAD plugins only work with the interfaces/dsp cards plugged into the computer.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts

While thats true, risk of piracy doesn't stop companies like Waves from producing plugins several times more expensive than the hardware you mentioned. And those plugins arent a fringe thing, they're near industry standard (for professional studios, anyway).

I mean, I agree with your sentiment but I can't get on board with the argument that all guitar VSTs are crap or have to be crap :2c:

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts

I don't think Bias is "meh" ... :smoking:
This was recorded with it and I'm very satisfied with end result

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Yeah, you're probably right. It's a shame, because I don't really want to have to deal with anything "outboard" for recording. This is just a hobby, I don't need an elaborate setup.

I don't think Bias is "meh" ... :smoking:
This was recorded with it and I'm very satisfied with end result
BIAS Amp Pro (or the amp part of BIAS FX) is great, I just think their effects (chorus, phaser, delay, reverb) suck.

Lopez, I'll check out Soundtoys, that looks cool. I'd love a UAD thing, but they're super expensive by the time you get done buying the hardware. And if I get another interface down the road, it'll be another Presonus, because A. I like them, and B. I get them super cheap. :D

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SoundToys looks pretty amazing. Reasonably priced, depending on what I end up with, too. I'ma gonna try the demos.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Waves Stomp is pretty slick!

You can load up a few different pedals....each pedal has a few different presets, pretty good sounding without much tweaking.

Edit- Just realized you can't buy it alone, I think you've got to get GTR3. Sweetwater had the Waves Platinum bundle for $650 last month so I bought that fucker right up. I still haven't even used half the plug-ins that came with it. Either way, GTR3 is only $129 and the amps sound pretty good in it. Actually, I'm using the bass amps for all my bass shit on this album.

Also, do you have Logic's tape delay? I've got Logic Pro X and it was included with it, I LOVE that fuckin' thing!

Waves MannyM series has some pretty slick shit inside of it as well. The MannyM Delay has a LOT more than just delay and it sounds pretty killer, reverbs, EQ's, chorus, distortion and Lo/Hi-pass filters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts