Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have a $25 gift card to ITMS and I'm a bit stumped as what to blow it on.

Any iPod Touch App recommendations? I've only downloaded free stuff since work bought a bunch of us Touches (that sounds so wrong).*

Looking at my most recently most listened to I see a lot of:
  • Animals as Leaders
  • Crack The Sky
  • Cynic
  • Emmerson, Lake and Palmer
  • Frank Zappa
  • Gordian Knot
  • Jacksonplayer's Council of One
  • Jethro Tull
  • Systems Theory
I could just fall-back and get some older stuff I have on vinyl/cassette and haven't repurchased digital, but I'd prefer to get something new. It looks like I'm in a complex, multi-layered without being a wall of sound, technical mood. Any recommendations?

Ray

*The Touches are our default VOIP (office and travel) phones and links to the main office when traveling.

·
18,790 Posts

:D

j/k, I don't actually see any money from this anyways, it's my old band, but I'm on the album :lol:

On a more serious note, Steven Wilson's "Insurgentes" is an awesome album, very nicely layered and dynamic, a bit noisier in places than Porcupine Tree, and a bit darker than most Porcupine Tree.

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Well, I have a $25 gift card to ITMS and I'm a bit stumped as what to blow it on.

Any iPod Touch App recommendations? I've only downloaded free stuff since work bought a bunch of us Touches (that sounds so wrong).*

Looking at my most recently most listened to I see a lot of:
  • Animals as Leaders
  • Crack The Sky
  • Cynic
  • Emmerson, Lake and Palmer
  • Frank Zappa
  • Gordian Knot
  • Jacksonplayer's Council of One
  • Jethro Tull
  • Systems Theory
I could just fall-back and get some older stuff I have on vinyl/cassette and haven't repurchased digital, but I'd prefer to get something new. It looks like I'm in a complex, multi-layered without being a wall of sound, technical mood. Any recommendations?

Ray

*The Touches are our default VOIP (office and travel) phones and links to the main office when traveling.
Spiral Architect. You will not be disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Lenny White - Anomaly. The best fusion album I've heard in years. Not a bunch of wank-off or a heartless tech-fest, but great playing, compositions and arrangements. Lots to chew on.

Alex Machacek, Matthew Garrison, Jeff Sipe - Improvisation. Some really inspired Holdsworthian stuff, but more band-oriented and interactive. Machacek is a monster player.

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to bring this thread to a close, I decided to treat the gift-card like a "DIY Best Gift" -- Something you'd love, but never spend your own money on. So, I updated a bunch of 80's singles that I have no desire to ever own an entire album (New Order, etc.) to iTunes Plus, finally bought Rush's cover album (Feedback), finally bought Emerson, Lake & Palmer's 1st album (the only one I don't have) and picked-up "The Death of Tragedy" by Abney Park.

Not at all the direction I was heading.

Ray

1 - 12 of 12 Posts