Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From yesterday's wiring fun:

The ML's have been my favorite singlecoils for a while now, so I grabbed a set of the V60s figuring I wanted something different for my sunburst Strat, and if the MLs were THAT good, the V60s couldn't be too bad either. I figured I'd do an A/B comparison in my silver Strat before I put them in the sunburst one, though. Honestly, these are really nice pickups - the ML's are middier and punchier, while the V60s are a little more hollow in the midrange and a little more classic, and while I've been looking at the silver Strat as the "rock" guitar and the sunburst as the "blues," part of me wonders if I wouldn't be better off swapping the two sets and putting the V60s back in this silver Strat, just because the middier MLs would add some punch to the rosewood/ash strat and the more open V60s would round out the midrange of my alder Strat.

Anyway, I'll have the other video up tomorrow, but Suhr's singlecoils rule.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which preset pack is this?
Bulb djent0rz clean intros vol 3.

Yeah, the V60s are really, really good. The MLs and the V60s aren't wildly different, IMO the biggest differences are in their midrange, but I was kind of taken aback by just how much more sparkle the V60 had compared to the Eric Johnsons they replaced in my other Strat. I'll get that up tonight.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Definitely want to try both of these sets.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think John Suhr's singlecoils are better than his humbuckers by a wide margin, and may be better than his guitars. Seriously, I really liked the Fender EJ set, but the difference in the high end sparkle between those and the V60s was pretty striking to me. I'll have that video up later on tonight.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't have any experience with Suhr's hotter humbuckers, but I do like the Thornbuckers for a hottish PAF type pickup, and their single coils, as well.

My comments on the other site pretty much match your experience here. Both pickups sound great, with the V60s being a bit brighter and having a bit less mids. I like that for the clean sounds, but I think they're a wash with dirt.

Do the MLs feel any hotter while playing them?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Already replied over there, but really, the ML's don't strike me as feeling all that hot - they have plenty of output, sure, and you can drive an amp a little more than you'd expect of a vintage output singlecoil, but they're not RADICALLY hot, and (disclaimer: there's a bit of an assumption here at my part, but when I think of the difference between a "hot" and a weaker pickup, I think mostly about the dynamic range and response of the pickup, with hotter ones feeling more compressed) they feel very dynamically responsive and open. Honestly, one of the things that impressed me the most about the MLs when I first plugged a guitar in that had them was how your picking attack responded through them - they can be positively explosive, they're very open and clear and if I didn't know they were supposed to be "hot" pickups, I'd never have thought of them as such (even though they DO seem to have decent output for a singlecoil).

It's odd. They may be a "hot" pickup, but they sure don't sound it or feel it. It's like a great Strat pickup.... just, there's more of it. :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Aldritchbucker is one of best buckers.

Like I said before, I like the v60s way more clean, under drive I could take either set.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aldritchbucker is one of best buckers.

Like I said before, I like the v60s way more clean, under drive I could take either set.
Assuming that IS an Aldrich in the bridge of the alder S-H I have, I thought it was fine, but it didn't really jump out at me as anything special. You guys like it in shorter scale guitars though, right?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Most of the guys here yeah, or at least in warmer guitars. I have mine in a pretty bright to begin with alder USA SoCal, and it sounds like a goddamned chainsaw :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Most of the guys here yeah, or at least in warmer guitars. I have mine in a pretty bright to begin with alder USA SoCal, and it sounds like a goddamned chainsaw :lol:
It's great in my shorter-scale mahogany Warmoth, and also great in my SLSMG.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should pull out the spec sheet and see what that bridge pickup is. I've never actually given a fuck, though, because the neck pickup in that thing, well, is the reason I now have two guitars with Suhr singlecoil sets in them. :lol:

Speaking of:

EJ vs V60 set. :yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I remember when I was first trying Fender pickups out in this guitar, the neck EJ first stuck out as being very different from the Fat 50 and TS, but second, once I started to get used to it, had sort of an appealing oldschool smokiness to it. The V60s though just have a ton more high end sparkle, and while I found myself really liking the EJ bridge pickup more than the TS or Fat 50s, I think it doesn't really compare to either the V60 or the ML Standard in terms of that sort of burnished glassiness sound that I liked about it.

Idunno. John Suhr really makes impressively good singlecoils.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Never tried those, I actually don't know much of Duncan's offerings. The Suhrs are good enough, though, that I haven't really felt the need to look elsewhhere in my alder Strat since I installed them.

I think, so far, I DO prefer the ML Standards to the V60s, at least with the former in alder and the later in Ash - clean both are nice in their own way, but distorted I like the punch of the MLs more, though I think some of that is the difference in attack between maple and rosewood. I need to spend some time going back and listening to the first video though and really comparing them.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Swap the necks instead of swapping the pickups maybe? :)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Swap the necks instead of swapping the pickups maybe? :)
Never! :lol:

EDIT - and honestly, at this point, if I wanted to do something quick and dirty, I could probably pop out the bridges and swap pickups faster than I could unstring and restring the necks, but I'm SURE I could swap pickguards faster than I could necks. :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts