Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Originally I painted my first Warmoth with "olympic white" thinking it was the whitest but I was inexperienced and WRONG...

So I later spray painted it over with SNOW WHITE (which I should have done from the start)

But after a couple of years the new white is starting to wear off and reveals the original OLYMPIC NON-WHITE MINT GREEN.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
This is exactly how a ton of early 60's Fenders were actually painted; guitars and basses. Guitars were done mainly in sunburst, and when they needed one with a solid finish for a customer they often simply painted over the burst. Not commenting on Suhr's treatment of this type of finish, but this isn't new to them - it's exactly how Fender did it back in the day so to that point this is accurate from a "just like the old ones" POV.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
The cutaway not matching the pickguard on the red guitar really looks terrible. You'd think a place like Suhr could get some basic stuff like that right, especially on some overpriced limited run model.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
This is exactly how a ton of early 60's Fenders were actually painted; guitars and basses. Guitars were done mainly in sunburst, and when they needed one with a solid finish for a customer they often simply painted over the burst. Not commenting on Suhr's treatment of this type of finish, but this isn't new to them - it's exactly how Fender did it back in the day so to that point this is accurate from a "just like the old ones" POV.
Problem with the Suhrs, IMO, is they're too clean. Fender does a MUCH better job at making them look like they legit were worn down to the original finish.

The Suhrs look like they just over-buffed down to the sunburst and left it at that.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Yeah, it's odd, I've thought Suhr's relicing was usually pretty good. Odd.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
It looks like they found an outlet for the noobs in the finishing department. "Dammit Billy, you botched another burst! We'll sell it anyway, but paint it over and try again."
...which is basically what Fender used to do. :lol:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.