Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by the '3 photos of you' thread, and seeing that everyone enjoys hiking (or, at least taking pictures of ourselves while hiking).

Anyone planning any big hiking trips? Gone hiking already?

So far, I've been to Kentucky twice last month. Cumberland Gap National Park, and some trails near Berea KY (Pinnacle trails). I also went to Blue Heron and Steyer parks in North Central Ohio, and saw some bitch'n snakes and frogs!

Nothing big planned on the horizon, but I might try to get over to the Smokey Mountains near the beginning of Fall.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Our day at Blue Heron and Steyer means nothing to you? :(

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
:lol: :wub:

I'm going to hike as much as I can this summer and fall but will all be fairly local due to the profound lack of vacation time due to being sick early in the year.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I mentioned this somewhere else, but I did my first big hiking excursion this last weekend. Went to Ricketts Glen State Park in PA, did about 10 miles of hiking including navigating an awful lot of rocky slopes to weave around the falls. It was a bit dangerous - two out of four people (not me! :p) had minor falls because they got a bit overconfident and weren't wearing good shoes - but a great experience. Definitely looking forward to planning more hikes this summer.

Equipment question: I did the hike in a pair of these Keen Newport sandals which were great for getting into the water and climbing around under the various falls. The things are waterproof and my feet were fine to just continue hiking. They also fit your feet fairly tightly and have closed toes.

But for more serious hiking boots, anticipating some mud etc. but not submerging the shoes, what do you guys like for boots? These and these look really good to me (not sure if I need the Gore-Tex version) but I don't even understand the difference between them. I think the ventilators aren't as waterproof but are more airy for hot hikes.

Considering I've had the Keen sandals for two years and they are still in outstanding shape, I just want to find a more rugged hiking boot for the summer that's going to hold up as well.

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
I've not really gone hiking yet this season (The photo of me along a river in the 3 pictures of you thread was actually part of a kayaking trip I routinely do).

I'll be hiking Isle Royale this august on a 7 day trip.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I've not really gone hiking yet this season (The photo of me along a river in the 3 pictures of you thread was actually part of a kayaking trip I routinely do).

I'll be hiking Isle Royale this august on a 7 day trip.
Ever hit up Mackinac Island? Bit of a hike for you (pun intended! :hsquid:) but they have 70 awesome miles of trails up there, some paved, most natural.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mackinac is nice, been ages since I've been there myself :yesway:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts