Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Highway to Hell
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Super Nintendo Entertainment Systemâ„¢: Super NES Classic Edition â€" Official site

On September 29, 2017, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition will be released. The mini system, which contains 21 pre-installed classic games, will be available at a suggested retail price of $79.99. And for the first time, players who pick up the system can enjoy the intergalactic adventure Star Fox 2, the sequel to the original Star Fox game that was created during the Super NES era but never released. Included with the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition are one HDMI cable, one USB charging cable with AC adapter, and two wired Super NES Classic Controllers.

Here's the game list:
Contra III: The Alien Wars™
Donkey Kong Country™
EarthBound™
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO™
Kirby™ Super Star
Kirby's Dream Course™
The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past™
Mega Man® X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox™
Star Fox™ 2
Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV™
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts®
Super Mario Kart™
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars™
Super Mario World™
Super Metroid™
Super Punch-Out!! ™
Yoshi's Island™

Hopefully they can keep up with demand unlike the miserable failure that was the NES Classic.

·
The Highway to Hell
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect this will be limited in numbers, intentionally, just like the NES Classic was. I'm pretty sure these are just meant to tease people so they'll buy a Switch and sign up for the classic games subscription service they're launching (starting with the NES library).
Press release says yes it's limited again, but they are producing MUCH larger quantities than they did with the NES Classic.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Hopefully they can keep up with demand unlike the miserable failure that was the NES Classic.
The NES classic was in no way shape or form a failure. They sold every single one made. Was it a shitty thing to make and not say it was limited? Sure, but with anything nintendo, you should know better if you thought there was going to be a large supply. They needed the factories to make the SNES classic, switches,2ds ect...
In addition, they are a Japanese company. Typically, Japanese companies are conservative and often under manufacture with the notion that the will sell it all and have no stock left over.

I guess the point is, you can be pissed about how the NES classic was handled, but it was the opposite of a failure.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
21 games is piss poor though
Same thing I thought about the NES Classic too.

That was a massive success, though. Nintendo's strategy to drive up demand like crazy and underproduce has really been working well for them. They've been doing that with tons of their products. Some people mistakenly think that they didn't gauge demand right and produced too little. No, their goal to sell out every single one they release. If they didn't sell them all out, it'd be a failure in their eyes.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Also, no Chrono Trigger?
If I was a bettin man, Square stuck it to'em on the licensing and they said "we out!" At least it has Secret of Mana.

Plus, this thing will sell out no problem with the line up it had regardless. But it does suck balls there is no Chronotrigger.

And as someone mentioned, emulators and roms are everywhere. People that are buying this for the games and not the collector aspect probably just don't realize how easy it is to play these games on any device they own already.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
If I was a bettin man, Square stuck it to'em on the licensing and they said "we out!"
Let's face it, the Chrono series has been long dead and gone, and aside from holding on to the rights, Square Enix has no interest in reviving the franchise. There's been 3 games, only 2 being successful (one being a text adventure on that stupid Sattelaview extension so nobody played it and was remade to Chrono Cross anyway), and that being the last game was released 17 bloody years ago. Maybe that 'dream team' was meant to be a lightning in a bottle moment after all...

The Mana series kept going and is still getting games to this day, even if everybody stopped caring after Legend Of Mana on PS1.

·
The Highway to Hell
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The NES classic was in no way shape or form a failure. They sold every single one made. Was it a shitty thing to make and not say it was limited? Sure, but with anything nintendo, you should know better if you thought there was going to be a large supply. They needed the factories to make the SNES classic, switches,2ds ect...
In addition, they are a Japanese company. Typically, Japanese companies are conservative and often under manufacture with the notion that the will sell it all and have no stock left over.

I guess the point is, you can be pissed about how the NES classic was handled, but it was the opposite of a failure.
When I said failure, I was referring their supply vs demand crap. The sytem itself is kickass. I own one :)

·
The Highway to Hell
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unlike the NES and it's 30 games, most were duds, at least this has a really good majority of good games. Enough for me to buy it and not mod it like I did with my NES Classic. I am content with the 21 since those are the only games I consistently go back and play.

To this day, I play Super Mario World and Legend of Zelda beginning to end at least yearly if not twice a year.

·
18,790 Posts
Unlike the NES and it's 30 games, most were duds, at least this has a really good majority of good games. Enough for me to buy it and not mod it like I did with my NES Classic. I am content with the 21 since those are the only games I consistently go back and play.

To this day, I play Super Mario World and Legend of Zelda beginning to end at least yearly if not twice a year.
If you modded the NES classic, what was the point of getting one? :lol: at that point just build an emulator box

·
The Highway to Hell
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you modded the NES classic, what was the point of getting one? :lol: at that point just build an emulator box
Because I like to tinker with stuff. I also own a Pi3 and an original XBox, both of which I modded/built and both have tons of roms/emulators installed. I just like the fun of building stuff.

And the NES Classic box is awesome to look at. LOL It has HDMI and is easier to use for emulation than my Pi3 and it's menu system. The XBox doesn't go higher than 480P :lol:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.