Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went ahead and got the Superior upgrade to EZDrummer, and have a wee problem. SD is different than EZD in that you need to use EZPlayer for the grooves and route it's output to Superior.

However, I can't seem to get that routing to work in Reaper. Here's what I've done:

- Added a new VST on a track for Superior. I have sound from it, and it works.
- Added EZPlayer on the same track, opened a groove - nothing gets sent to Superior.
- Tried adding EZPlayer on it's own track, still no sound from the grooves.

I know I'm just missing something silly. I set Auto-Assign Tracks to MIDI set in EZPlayer, but it doesn't show a check (not sure if this is normal):

And here are my settings in the Superior VST:

Here's my track routing in Reaper, trying to route the EZPlayer output to the track that Superior is one (just one right now)

When I play a groove in EZPlayer, I see the groove playing, but the MIDI light stays dark, and nothing happens in Superior.

What am I missing?

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
In a nutshell, what are the advantages to having Superior? I'm starting to get the basics down with EZDrummer and don't want to fuck up my momentum with having to learn another way of having to do things within Reaper.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone better with it can probably give you a more useful answer. I wanted to use the built-in effects like compression and such, and the Metal Foundry kits because I couldn't get a good kick/hat sounds from EZD/DKFH to save my life.

The basic functionality is exactly the same once you figure out how to route it. Same groove dragging, track assignment, etc. Superior (in my 20 minutes of using it so far) has a better mixer, and a slightly more confusing interface. :lol:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
I just checked out the price for the Superior upgrade at Toontrack.com. Is it really worth the $350 bucks?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
You know, what I'd been doing, Chris, is routing each send from EZDrummer to a different track in Reaper. So, my kick goes to one track, my snare top and snare bottom to two separate tracks, my hihat to one, the toms to one stereo track and the overheads to another, etc. I don't mix it inside EZDrummer at all - instead, I use it to generate sounds and let Reaper do the mixing.

Of course, at this stage of the game I'm not doing much mixing in Reaper either. :lol:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
You know, what I'd been doing, Chris, is routing each send from EZDrummer to a different track in Reaper. So, my kick goes to one track, my snare top and snare bottom to two separate tracks, my hihat to one, the toms to one stereo track and the overheads to another, etc. I don't mix it inside EZDrummer at all - instead, I use it to generate sounds and let Reaper do the mixing.
That's what I'm doing too. So far it's working well but sometimes it still sounds a little flat and lifeless.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Of course, at this stage of the game I'm not doing much mixing in Reaper either. :lol:
I do that as well, this wasn't about actually sending tracks from the kit to reaper, I needed to get the groove player mapped to the kit. They're separate in Superior - it's not like EZD where it's all one piece. You need to map the MIDI out of the player to the MIDI in on the kit, and then send the kit out to the software.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was a PITA to figure out, just because I was used to EZDrummer. :lol: It's the same deal once you have the routing set. Just one extra track, and one extra VSTi.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
That's what I'm doing too. So far it's working well but sometimes it still sounds a little flat and lifeless.
That's because fuck the Yankees. :yesway:

Chris - I suppose that makes sense. :lol:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
I should name my album "Fuck the Yankees". :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.