Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty simple trade, really. Tomorrow afternoon, I'm driving a couple hours to trade my Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special head and Avatar 2x12 cab for a Lone Star Classic 2x12 combo.

Yeah, it's a monster at 90 lbs, but ever since I got into the Lone Star, I've wondered what the big classic would be like. Plus, I don't pack it around anywhere.

Anyway, week ago, I agreed in principle to this deal. So, if I don't get robbed, shot, dry-raped, or otherwise molested, I'll post photos when I get back.

Actually, if I get otherwise molested I may stay there a couple of days and see what that's like.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I'll be curious what you think of thhe differences. The Classic is 6L6, right, and the Special is EL84? I REALLY liked the full sized special I played. Great smooth lead tone, and one of the best cleans I've ever heard - I didn't even bothher to check out the gain for a solid half hour.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah - the Classic can use either 6L6 or EL34 using the bias switch. I'll let you know what I think - I'm almost certain he has 6L6's in this.

I've been using the clean channel on the Special most of the time. I'm looking forward to trying out the Classic.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, I'm pretty jazzed. Just a short time on it gives the impression that there's a lot I can do with this. I'll spend the next few days getting used to the differences and making some adjustments, but I'm pretty happy I did this trade.

It's in killer shape - aside from the sag in the grill cloth. I'm not fond of the silver color, so I'll probably find something really atrocious and gaudy to replace it with. I'll probably look for paisley.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.