Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those shows you've been to where the support act(s) has/have been better than the headliner... Discuss...
I'll start.
Ensiferum headlined, supported by Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum. Both blew the former out of the water. Same goes for the other night, when I saw Sonata Arctica, supported by Twilight Force and Power Quest. Twilight Force especially blew me away. The fact that Sonata were mostly playing their middle of the road Rock ballads didn't help them. :lol:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Those shows you've been to where the support act(s) has/have been better than the headliner... Discuss...
I'll start.
Ensiferum headlined, supported by Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum. Both blew the former out of the water. Same goes for the other night, when I saw Sonata Arctica, supported by Twilight Force and Power Quest. Twilight Force especially blew me away. The fact that Sonata were mostly playing their middle of the road Rock ballads didn't help them. :lol:
I feel Sonata have been pretty weak since they kicked out Jani Liimatainen, just writing less and less interesting stuff. The guy who replaced him seemed like a much more generic shredder, although I haven't really followed them since high-school.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Wilson opening for Sevendust. Sevendust puts on a high-energy show every show they play, but it was the difference between seeing a band that WANTED it and were loving every second of getting there, opposed to a band that knows it's going to deliver a solid show because they've been doing it forever.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Went to see Hatebreed supported by Unearth and some other band who I can't remember... This was around 2005 I think. And god dam, it's not even funny how much Unearth owned that fucking thing :lol: I mean to be fair, I don't even like Hatebreed, I was going because it was a gig and some friends invited me on a free ticket. I hadn't heard of Unearth at the time, and by the time I got home they were my favourite band. Unreal energy, unreal showmanship, unreal guitar playing, they just poured energy and fun out of every pore. Electrifying.

The energy got sucked right out the room the moment Hatebreed came on. And that's not just because they're not my cup of tea. It just did.

·
Bowes Guitars
1,958 Posts
Archspire opening for....I honestly can't remember.

Machine Head opening for Napalm Death a week before Burn My Eyes came out. No clue who they were. They were the opening act at the Toronto Opera House and by the end of their set, there was an insane mosh pit on the stage during the last song. The owner came out and said if that ever happened again he'd shut the show down. My buddy who showed up in sandals said the hell with it in and went in the pit.

Testament opening for Lamb of God. This shouldn't need an explanation.
Testament opening for Slayer.
Testament opening for Megadeth

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Hah, to follow up Brian's post, I saw Overkill, F&J and Testament and holy shit did Overkill absolutely destroy the world that night. All three bands were great (plus Bloody_Inferno's old band, 4Arm) but Overkill was just on fire.

Every time I see Gene Hoglan drum the drum mix has the kick cranked up 500% louder than it needs to be, and this show was no different. Testament were great otherwise but it was obnoxious after the first few songs. I spent more time trying to find a spot in the theater that had the right acoustics to try and dampen the kick than I did actually watching the band.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
So I think it was Ozzfest 98, Slipknot was the band playing as soon as they started letting people in the doors on a side stage. Never heard of them, and say what you will about their music, but their stage show was insane and kinda put most everyone else that day to shame.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
the drum mix has the kick cranked up 500% louder than it needs to be
That is like, literally every metal show I'v gone to for the last decade around here. Its horrible. If feels like someone punching you in the chest over and over and its steps all over the rest of the band to the point of not hearing them. This is the main reason havn't gone to shows for a long time.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
That is like, literally every metal show I'v gone to for the last decade around here. Its horrible. If feels like someone punching you in the chest over and over and its steps all over the rest of the band to the point of not hearing them. This is the main reason havn't gone to shows for a long time.
I don't go to many shows (maybe one a year) but now that you mention it that's my experience for the most part too.

Notable exception was King Diamond last year (same venue as Testament, actually) which sounded straight up fantastic and was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Hah, to follow up Brian's post, I saw Overkill, F&J and Testament and holy shit did Overkill absolutely destroy the world that night. All three bands were great (plus Bloody_Inferno's old band, 4Arm) but Overkill was just on fire.

Every time I see Gene Hoglan drum the drum mix has the kick cranked up 500% louder than it needs to be, and this show was no different. Testament were great otherwise but it was obnoxious after the first few songs. I spent more time trying to find a spot in the theater that had the right acoustics to try and dampen the kick than I did actually watching the band.
I saw that one ("The Dark Roots of Thrash" tour), and have seen Overkill two other times. They did a co-headliner with Kreator that was awesome, but the first time I saw Overkill it was the loudest concert I have seen to this day. Those guys are ridiculous. Besides Yngwie, they are one of the only other bands I have seen that run all their cabs. I didn't even hear any vocals because I was right in front of Dave Linsk. I still have the setlist from his monitor laying around here somewhere.

As far as the OP goes, nah, not really. These days even if the headliner kind of sucks the support probably sucks worse. Either that or it's a matter of taste. If they are main support and the tickets aren't expensive I'll go see them for a 30 minute set. Plenty of those (Nile, Enslaved, etc. etc.)

In terms of comparing bands to other bands, Septic Flesh, Morbid Angel, Deicide, all suck. Just like, low energy adequate. The most mindblowing club shows I have seen are Down, Overkill, and Amon Amarth. Amon Amarth is obvious, their shows sell out in no time and get ultra violent. The 2011 tour where they had no opener and played back to back sets was one of the gnarliest concerts I have ever seen. Down in a club is fucking amazing. Say what you want about Phil Anselmo, but he can be a great frontman, I didn't even go for them, went for Warbeast.

Shows in general though. Nothing comes close to Iron Maiden. Nothing. Everyone else looks shitty, even bands I like. When you see enough Iron Maiden concerts, you kind of feel like you aren't getting your money's worth from any other bands. I would rather see one Iron Maiden concert than ten other concerts from bands I love. Doesn't matter who.

Also, since I mentioned Yngwie earlier, everyone should see Yngwie live at least once. I don't care what anyone says, he's always the top shred god to me. Absolute madman, when he's not firing picks off into the crowd, he's throwing guitars around or something. At the end of one song he ripped the strings off the guitar with his hands. Like, just grabbed them above the pickups and pulled until they broke. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen. The amount of enthusiasm he has is still legendary.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also, OP, Ensiferum has headlined Paganfest twice and both times I saw it they were meh. Most of those bands (Korpiklanni, etc.) are meh live. Tyr and Moonsorrow are the exceptions. Tyr and Moonsorrow both blew Korpiklanni away (they were the headliner) on their run four years back. But sometimes concerts just get stacked in ways where the headliner isn't the mian event. If Fleshgod Apocalypse is on a tour as main support, people show up for them all the time.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
2 weeks ago I saw Katatonia, supported by Agent Fresco, which I had never heard of before. They did own the show, amazing musicianship. Not the typical mg.org, but really recommendd:

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Once saw Stuck Mojo opening for Type O Negative. I love both bands but the energy levels couldn't have been more different, although I suspect the rest of the audience would disagree with my summary.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Shows in general though. Nothing comes close to Iron Maiden. Nothing. Everyone else looks shitty, even bands I like. When you see enough Iron Maiden concerts, you kind of feel like you aren't getting your money's worth from any other bands. I would rather see one Iron Maiden concert than ten other concerts from bands I love. Doesn't matter who.
100% this :agreed: I mean it doesn't matter how much of a fan you are either. I've sentenced completely non-metalheads to watching a Maiden show - One guy, an old school friend, who kinda likes the odd metal track but is for the most part an indie/punk hipster shitrag, wouldn't put money down to see a metal band or anything, was at Reading Festival, and I rang him to have a random chat. I was glancing over the bill whilst on the phone and noticed Maiden were headlining that night. I was like dude you have to do it! You OWE yourself to see Maiden! I know you don't like metal but... etc.. etc.. Anyway he protested at first, but believe it or not I'd convinced him enough to at least watch the opening. He still says that's the best show he's ever seen in his life to this day. That was about 10 years ago. They just have this magic. You really don't even have to enjoy Maiden that much at all. They were born to play life-changingly massive shows.

Once saw Stuck Mojo opening for Type O Negative. I love both bands but the energy levels couldn't have been more different, although I suspect the rest of the audience would disagree with my summary.
Now that's just horrific billing at its finest :lol: They weren't even on the same label were they?! I've never seen Mojo live (and definitely never will so long as they have that new singer, fuck!) but I could show both bands to my mum even and she'd know not to put them on the same bill.

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Yeah, they were both on Century Media at the time, Type O were on October Rust and Mojo had just released Pigwalk. Saw them a whole bunch on that and the Rising tours and got to know vaguely know them on the first re-union tour, even got to 'sing' with them a little bit at one show.

I know what you mean about singers, Bonz or nothing

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Shitting hell man, nice!

Well I didn't really mind that Lord Nelson guy, he was no Bonz but I quite dug Southern Born Killers. This new guy though... fucking hell. Have you seen/heard? He's awful, and I think Rich Ward might have lost his fucking mind.

·
Read Only
1 Posts

I saw overkill WAAAAAAAY back in the day when they opened for Slayer - They were fanfuckingtastic live.

My pick - 1988-ish Yngwie Opening for Maiden.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Testament opening for Megadeth
This. They did all of The Legacy when Megadeth was doing all of Rust in fucking Peace, and they just owned the shit out of 'deth. Not even close. Everytime Testament takes the stage, it's like a bulldozer levels the building, and they nuke it from orbit just to be sure.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
100% this :agreed: I mean it doesn't matter how much of a fan you are either. I've sentenced completely non-metalheads to watching a Maiden show - One guy, an old school friend, who kinda likes the odd metal track but is for the most part an indie/punk hipster shitrag, wouldn't put money down to see a metal band or anything, was at Reading Festival, and I rang him to have a random chat. I was glancing over the bill whilst on the phone and noticed Maiden were headlining that night. I was like dude you have to do it! You OWE yourself to see Maiden! I know you don't like metal but... etc.. etc.. Anyway he protested at first, but believe it or not I'd convinced him enough to at least watch the opening. He still says that's the best show he's ever seen in his life to this day. That was about 10 years ago. They just have this magic. You really don't even have to enjoy Maiden that much at all. They were born to play life-changingly massive shows.
:agreed:

I remember the Ozzfest where they only played songs from the first four albums. Literally, a day full of shitty core bands like Trivium, Shadow's Fall, Mudvayne, and Killswitch Engage, with Iron Maiden the second to the last band of the night. Leading up to their set, teenagers whacking off to BLS and Mudvayne were openly mocking Maiden. They start with the Trooper, and right before the first verse starts Bruce comes running out from the back, takes a leap, hits the monitor with one foot, rotates 360 degrees in the air, and lands in time to start singing. The place just exploded. Lots of "holy shit holy shit what the fuck oh my god fucking are you kidding fucking Maiden!!!" coming from all the teenagers who got won over halfway through one song. I've never seen a hostile crowd so completely transformed.

Then, we went home two songs into Sabbath, because goddamn does Ozzy suck, and goddamn were they boring. :(

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
The one time I saw King's X, Fishbone opened for them. Completely different energy levels, and I think I wasn't alone in being completely wasted tired by the time King's X came out :lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts