Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've had this old guitar lying around that I disassembled a few years ago and kind of forgot about. Recently I've really got the uncontrollable urge to swirl something and figure it'll make great practice until I can nab a cheap RG 7 off craigslist.

Here are a few pictures of the body..

I'm thinking of swirling this pink, red and black or just red and black, I haven't been able to find any examples of a pink/red/black swirl...if anybody has pictures of those that'd be great.

I'm not really concerned about fucking this body up too much, but I want to get this done as well as I can so when I swirl whatever RG I pick up I don't screw it up :ugh:

I've watched a few videos but I have a few questions before I start.

1. Borax...what brand?
2. Do I need to have sanded the clearcoat off after I dip or do I need to go satin ---> dip --->clear?
3. What kind of oil paint should I be using?
4. The only thing you need to do is fill holes with wax from my understanding; is this correct?
5. Dark colours then lights? Or should it be the other way around?
6. What temperature should the water be? I've heard 27 degrees, is this right?
7. How exactly should I go about drying the body off afterwards? I'm thinking of just leaving it with a bunch of fans..but I have a feeling this is a bad idea :lol:

Thanks guys, help me not fuck this up too badly :lol:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I am buying an RG after I swirl this cheap body.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks dude :metal:

Seeing that image I'm probably going to stick with a two colour for this one.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Would this be the correct order to do things in?

1.Sand down guitar to wood
2.seal the body
3.undercoat red
4.Dip
5.Clear

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts

1. Borax...what brand?
20 Mule Team is all I could find

2. Do I need to have sanded the clearcoat off after I dip or do I need to go satin ---> dip --->clear? I just sanded everything off and started from bare wood. Sealed it, used spray paint for my "satin" base, dipped, then clear coated and buffed.

3. What kind of oil paint should I be using? I used RustOleum. As long as you know a little about color theory, you can get pretty much any color you want out of the primary colors and they make neons and glow-in-the-darks. Mix that with some paint thinner and it floats really well. The small cans are pretty cheap, and you will get a lot more paint than you do with some of the other suggested paints (Testors, etc.).

4. The only thing you need to do is fill holes with wax from my understanding; is this correct?Yep, though I read you can also use Vaseline if you're careful.

5. Dark colours then lights? Or should it be the other way around? Dark then light is what I did. I just followed the rule of thumb from art class.

6. What temperature should the water be? I've heard 27 degrees, is this right?Room temperature? I did mine in the SoCal summer with water from the hose. Worked fine. May not have been ideal, but whatevs.

7. How exactly should I go about drying the body off afterwards? I'm thinking of just leaving it with a bunch of fans..but I have a feeling this is a bad idea :lol: I wouldn't do fans. The water droplets rolling around might mess up your paint. I just duct tapped the stake the guitar was on to a couple of strong hangers and hung it in the closet to dry over some newspaper. I knew no one would touch it there (I don't have a garage/workroom).

Another thing I did was right after I dipped, I first hung the guitar outside to let the water run off. Very, very carefully, I went over with a paper towel and just touched it to any drops of water I found. The towel sucked them right up and never touched the paint. It took a long time, though. I also left the guitar hanging there for a while to let the smell of the paint fade.

Would this be the correct order to do things in?

1.Sand down guitar to wood
2.seal the body
3.undercoat red
4.Dip
5.Clear
That's what I did. Worked just fine.

My advice is to practice, and if you're going to have a helper, make sure they are actually helpful:rant:. My guitar didn't come as 100% as I had hoped, but that was my fault. I didn't put as much paint thinner into one of the colors as I should have. Seriously, the hardest part is making sure the ratio of paint to thinner is just right.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thank you!

Did you just use a candle for the wax?

I'll be sure to test a lot before as well :lol:

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
You're welcome.

I actually used wax earplugs. Candle wax seemed too hard and brittle. I was afraid it would crack or chip off when I dipped, or I wouldn't be able to get it all out. The wax earplugs have little fibers in the wax, and it's soft, so it comes out easily and all at once.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ill obtain some of those as well then. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts