Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, as I mentioned earlier I'm going to swirl my craptastic 100 dollar guitar before I fuck with the RG, I need to do something with this thing anyways as it's been lying around for like 4 years now :lol:

Anyways, I started sanding tonight. My mouth tastes like sand. :D

Ghetto, but it works!

This is better. :D

I like touching my guitar with my wet hands :D

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I have to repaint it pink because its going to be a pink/black swirl dont I?
???

I meant just strip off the clear coat and rough up the poly finish, since as you've already found it's a bitch to remove. Rough it up with a few grits of paper, paint an undercoat (white in your case), sand it back, paint another undercoat, sand it back, paint your basecoat, sand it back, paint another basecoat, sand it back, swirl it, smooth it, and then the best bit - clearcoat, sand, clearcoat, sand, continue ad nauseum until you're hands fall off and you cough up a lung from exposure.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.3.0.1390.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P007) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I stripped mine down to bare wood, too. It was a shitty silver finish. Came off super easy with one sanding block. :ugh:

:lol:

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.3.0.1390.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P007) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Yeeeeeep.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I meant just strip off the clear coat and rough up the poly finish, since as you've already found it's a bitch to remove. Rough it up with a few grits of paper, paint an undercoat (white in your case), sand it back, paint another undercoat, sand it back, paint your basecoat, sand it back, paint another basecoat, sand it back, swirl it, smooth it, and then the best bit - clearcoat, sand, clearcoat, sand, continue ad nauseum until you're hands fall off and you cough up a lung from exposure.
Honestly, I wouldn't want to leave that much paint on the guitar, only to layer up more. I feel it is worth the work to take it back down to the sealer, and then paint it up from there. Other than that, yeah, taking it down to bare wood is a bad idea, since then you have to seal it again. Paint alone just doesn't cut it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't want to leave that much paint on the guitar, only to layer up more. I feel it is work the earth to take it back down to the sealer, and then paint it up from there. Other than that, yeah, taking it down to bare wood is a bad idea, since then you have to seal it again. Paint alone just doesn't cut it.
wat

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts

Derail lulz.

Honestly, I can't remember which sealant I used. If I had my computer I could tell you. I remember seeing it recommended on Jemsite a lot and that was what I got. Had a pic of a yellow guitar on it.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Turned out I still have some primer lying around, unfortunately the spray can was fucked and droplets started leaking out and some came out over the guitar :wallbash:

Oh well, not too big an issue, this is just a test before the RG anyways :lol:

Pics!

Faulty ass spray cans ftl :(

Fuck yes thats a ton of onions and apple juice :fawk:

Going to do a pink undercoat tommorow :)

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
God, I only sanded down a guitar once and I will never do that again. Just looking at those photos made the smell come back to my nose. :lol:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts