Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...sucks ass when you're trying to do it on the fly.

At the moment I'm practicing 'Lifting Shadows Off A Dream'. On my guitar and clean patch, I really feel that the verse and intro parts sound best with position two, both pickups in parallel, split. For the chorus part though, it sounds much better on position four, the neck on its own in parallel.
Unfortunately, given how quickly I have to toggle between them, I keep finding myself hitting the switch too hard and ending up with the bridge or neck humbuckers, which isn't really appropriate.

Anyone else run into issues like this?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
This is why I like three-way toggles and mainly just use one side or the other. A quick push and it's there.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
This is why I like three-way toggles and mainly just use one side or the other. A quick push and it's there.
I like 3 way blades for the same reason. A lot easier for me to flick into the bridge or neck positions.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
3 way blade + Push/pull? Or, rewire your 5 way blade so the pickup selections you're looking for are more convenient?

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
At some point, you may just realize that such details really don't matter. In fact, they can detrimental to the experience of playing. Given that Petrucci only uses a 3 way switch, why not just leave it at position 4, enjoy playing the part, and save yourself the stress?

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3 way blade + Push/pull? Or, rewire your 5 way blade so the pickup selections you're looking for are more convenient?
Yeah, that would be a good idea, it's just the layout on the fiveway works quite well for me in terms of ease of use most of the time (generally most of the switching's between neck and bridge for leads, bridge for rhythm, and one of the middle positions for cleans), it's just that the two positions that seem to work best for this part, to my ears, happen to be in particularly awkward spots...

Ken...I'm starting to think you may be right...

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
If you're using a three way and doing a quick switch, is there room after the switch on the body for a mini-toggle? If so, you could do a quick switch to the neck, and keep going with that switch and just hit the toggle that would put the humbucker in parallel mode.

:shrug:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
This is such a problem that I only use bridge and neck when playing live (or at practice), although I might use position 2 and 4 when recording. Those positions are just really tough to get.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I run into the same issues, Tom. But unlike everyone here, I don't think just ignoring it or simplifying it is the answer.

It's just something to practice on and do your best to deal with. One of the little annoyances of having versatility. Which is cool to me, actually. I look at it as another facet of playing... it's not fretting and picking a note, but it's just as much a part of a guitar player's repertoire (IMO) as those other more tangible elements.

I'm rather good, generally, with getting the right pickup selections with a 5-way on-the-fly, anymore. You do anything enough, you'll begin to get facility with it.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I run into the same issues, Tom. But unlike everyone here, I don't think just ignoring it or simplifying it is the answer.
I just look at it differently. I'm used to playing in 4 or 5 piece, two guitar bands, so it may be different for you guys, but in my experience, after all the two guitars worth of effects, distortion, etc, then you add bass, drums and vocals, maybe keyboards, etc., coupled with iffy sound guys, being blasted through PA systems et al, who's gonna really even notice the difference in flipping your pickups to split or inverted phase?

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I agree there. It's one of the annoying things about being a guitarist. :lol: No one in the entire audience notices, but it drives the guitarist himself crazy if he's not playing it exactly the way he wants to.

I've had times where I've played a song live and thought I fucked it up so bad that it must've sounded horrible, but then I listen to a tape or DVD or whatever that someone recorded and it's completely unnoticeable. :ugh:

Still... when I'm playing, I notice it very much.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I guess I'm just lucky enough to like all the tones I get with two humbuckers or a hum/single setup and a three-way switch :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I like 3 way blades for the same reason. A lot easier for me to flick into the bridge or neck positions.
I use a 5-way blade wired like a 3-way, because the feel when switching between neck and bridge is smoother than a 3-way blade, and I don't really like toggles.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

It's just something to practice on and do your best to deal with. One of the little annoyances of having versatility. Which is cool to me, actually. I look at it as another facet of playing... it's not fretting and picking a note, but it's just as much a part of a guitar player's repertoire (IMO) as those other more tangible elements.

I'm rather good, generally, with getting the right pickup selections with a 5-way on-the-fly, anymore. You do anything enough, you'll begin to get facility with it.
This is exactly how I feel, and why it's been winding me up so much.

It was actually a little better last night...looks like practice may be the answer.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Hmm...

Just having a brain-idea-fart here...

You could rewire your guitar with a 5-conductor midi cable instead of a 2-conductor instrument cable. Then, utilizing all the new conducting paths, wire up each coil to each output available, making use of a three way switch as well. Then, build a pickup switching pedal on the floor to accept the midi cable, and output to a standard instrument cable.

Then, you can do most of your "pickup switching" on the floor with your feet.

Actually, that's a terrible idea :lol: Rather, you might want some electronic switcher in the guitar, with a digital controller in your rack or something. I'm sure one can use the same instrument cable to send/receive small signals to the switcher. There, you could midi control this unit with a floorboard, and tie it into your patches. So, like switching to Patch 42 would call up some pre-amp, some effects, and some pickup config.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmm...

Just having a brain-idea-fart here...

You could rewire your guitar with a 5-conductor midi cable instead of a 2-conductor instrument cable. Then, utilizing all the new conducting paths, wire up each coil to each output available, making use of a three way switch as well. Then, build a pickup switching pedal on the floor to accept the midi cable, and output to a standard instrument cable.

Then, you can do most of your "pickup switching" on the floor with your feet.

Actually, that's a terrible idea :lol: Rather, you might want some electronic switcher in the guitar, with a digital controller in your rack or something. I'm sure one can use the same instrument cable to send/receive small signals to the switcher. There, you could midi control this unit with a floorboard, and tie it into your patches. So, like switching to Patch 42 would call up some pre-amp, some effects, and some pickup config.
Vigier actually tried that at one point believe it or not.:lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts