Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I've got an idea rolling around my head, but I'm wondering if a certain aspect is possible:

Is it possible to have 2 switches, one latching, the other momentary, where the momentary basically reverses the state of the latched switch?

For example, if the latched switch was set to off, pushing the momentary switch would turn on the circuit, and if the latched switch was on, pushing the momentary switch would turn off the circuit. Basically, adding a momentary switch to an existing pedal to let you kick on/off an effect for short bursts by holding the switch, depending on what state the pedal's already in.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I think it depends on whether the pedal uses a mechanical switch or FET switching on the circuit board. With a mechanical switch, it shouldn't be a problem to wire up a momentary switch in parallel with the main switch that would do the same thing but just not latch.

This is where digital multi-effects are more flexible than individual pedals. ;)

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I can't think of an easy way to reverse the condition of a switch, but you could wire up a pair of momentary switches, one set to make and the other break. That way you could set on the relevant switch to turn on or off, plus still have the locking swtich for traditional on/off switching. Provided it is a mechanical switch as Darren said.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Yeah... momentary switches are normally-open or normally-closed.

You'd need to have two normally-open momentary switches to do what you want. One that's wired in parallel with the effect's main switch that momentarily closes the connection to activate the effect. The other one would act as a jumper between the input and output of the effect, essentially acting as a momentary true bypass.

If it's a FET switch, i'm not sure you can momentarily close it if it's designed to latch.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
It should be doable. Let me soak it into my mind hole...
edort: Yeah darren is right. Id personally just get a little switching chip and program that. shouldnt take much

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, this would be a mechanical switch at the moment, as it won't technically be an effect pedal. Moreso inspired by the killswitch box thread. In the case of a kill switch setup, it would basically be having a switch that changes the function of the momentary switch so that it goes from push-to-mute to push-for-sound.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
You could build yourself an "effects loop" box that has a latching and a momentary switch that both activate the loop. That way, you can lock the loop "on" so the pedal works normally, or you can step on the momentary switch to activate the loop on demand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.