Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used one of these?

https://www.synergyamps.com/shop/heads/syn30/

Whenever I search for SLOs on Reverb, the first thing that pops up is Matt's selling a bunch of SLO preamp modules for it, like this:

https://reverb.com/item/25234901-synergy-soldano-slo-two-channel-tube-pre-amp-module

Matt knew his shit and their shop sells some really great products so I have to think that if they're selling these modules that they sound pretty good. I've never heard of the company otherwise though. The preamp chassis is $499:

https://www.synergyamps.com/shop/hardware/syn1/

And then there are all sorts of modules for it:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The ones that literally have the names on them are codedesigned with the original people. Like Metropolis, Soldano, Fryette, Diezel, etc. then you’ve got the “800”, “twin”, etc that are the “inspired by”.

The clips always seem to sound great. At $450 a module though, that shit adds up.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
They have tons of preamps that are marketed with the same name of the amps they're... copying, I guess?
I believe they are actually officially licensed.

I actually liked the Egnater designed Randalls with the same concept that came earlier which are now discontinued better.

I think the randall egnater modules work in the synergy ones though. Don't know how much of the same team was involved, I think at least some of the synergy guys were involved with the Randall stuff.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
I have been tempted to go this route for a while now. There is even some backwards compatibility with the Randall and Egnator stuff.

"You can use old modules in the SYN1, SYN2, SYN30 and SYN-50 (basically all Synergy hardware).
You can use Synergy modules in old Randall gear but only one channel of the Synergy module will work (because Randall hardware was based on single channel modules). For those Synergy modules where channel 1 is different than channel 2, we provided a switch on the PCB allowing you to select which channel will engage when used in Randall gear.
You can use Synergy modules in old Egnater gear such as M4 and MOD50 and both channels will work.
Best performance of course will be Synergy modules with Synergy hardware. The new modules have the cathode biasing selection switch circuitry which is not present on any previous hardware units."

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Paging 7DT.......He has a Randall 3 module head with a conversion to allow multi-channel Synergy modules.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
They all look and sound shit hot. At some point I want the 2ch rack mount with a VH4 and Pittbull UL module.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Ive seen lots of great sounding vids with these. The SLO, Savage and HBE where particularly nice. Id think one of these through that 2:90 with a splash of reverb and delay would be pretty sick. Not cheap, but way less than the actual amps.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I know exactly the Synergy rig I want to build, and exactly how much it will cost, which helps me to not buy it :lol:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the Synergy, with the Plexi, 800, Friedman BB/BE, VH4, Vai, as well as a few MTS modules: Grail, Mr Scary, Ultra XL, and MG+. I love it. With the SYN1, I can bring it to the studio and hook it up to the studio amp, and turn it into any amp that I plug into the Synergy.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
So, I modded my randall rm100 to take synergy modules. Easy to do too. Turns it into a 6 channel midi switchable amp. With a power section that'll take damn near any valve. I'd recommend doing this.

So far:
- Soldano modules is very close if not dead on, i attributed difference between my clone and the slo module to el34 (randall) vs 6l6 (sloclone)
- Extacy module is great, but
- Uberschall is one to get
- TDLX is good for cleans and low gain sounds.
- Fryette modules have got really good reviews. I kind of fancy one
- VH4 module is apparently really good too

- BE odule was crap, sold it
- Savage module I didn't like at all, but I don't like ENGL, so YMMV

In terms of old randall modules (still compatible with synergy)
- Dan Donegan module is really good. Despite Dan Donegan.
- Xtacy module is flat as fuck compared to the synergy one
- Ultra module can be kind of fun

You can also start getting her salvation audio modules too, and his shit is pretty fucking awesome. There's another company as well that does stuff, but name escapes me.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Paging 7DT.......He has a Randall 3 module head with a conversion to allow multi-channel Synergy modules.
In my opinion, with the stupid price of synergy hardware, and due to it having a power stage that'll take any valve combo, this is the way to go, especially with a salvation audio MDA mod board. Yuneo.de is the mod company that will sell you the conversion kit as well.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man that's all great to know. The SLO and the Savage are the ones I'm most interested in.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
You're going to need a bigger closet (of LOLitude).

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
So, I modded my randall rm100 to take synergy modules. Easy to do too. Turns it into a 6 channel midi switchable amp. With a power section that'll take damn near any valve. I'd recommend doing this.

So far:
- Soldano modules is very close if not dead on, i attributed difference between my clone and the slo module to el34 (randall) vs 6l6 (sloclone)
- Extacy module is great, but
- Uberschall is one to get
- TDLX is good for cleans and low gain sounds.
- Fryette modules have got really good reviews. I kind of fancy one
- VH4 module is apparently really good too

- BE odule was crap, sold it
- Savage module I didn't like at all, but I don't like ENGL, so YMMV

In terms of old randall modules (still compatible with synergy)
- Dan Donegan module is really good. Despite Dan Donegan.
- Xtacy module is flat as fuck compared to the synergy one
- Ultra module can be kind of fun

You can also start getting her salvation audio modules too, and his shit is pretty fucking awesome. There's another company as well that does stuff, but name escapes me.
I REALLY like the vh4 pedal I have. I hear the synergy module is very close, but sounds a little more dynamic and has better clarity. I think you'd like the vh4 module.

The pedal sounds great with el34 power amps.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts